♒ 12: Call

Chapter 12

That shocking revelation left me frozen on my spot. Who would have thought that Akira was not their real daughter? It was really something unexpected.

I stood next to Akira's bed and a thousand questions immediately ran through my mind. Is Akira already aware of the fact that they are not her real parents? If not, should I tell her?

"Hey Makoto." A familiar voice said.

Yuuki stood next to me and gave me one of those flashy smiles that shows her pearl white teeth. "Hey Yuuki," I said unenthusiastically.

"Why the sad face? And what exactly are you talking about?" She asked.

"N-Nothing…" I said. I felt my face heating up a little. Akira has been the only one on my mind since the day that I met her, but then again, I can't really tell her that. That would be embarrassing!

"Oh come on, don't tell me you're actually worried about her. Her head is thicker than diamond, a little concussion won't hurt her," she said while playfully punching my arm.

I forced out a laugh and decided to stay quiet. Akira's family is not really leaving a good impression on me. Am I the really one who's genuinely worried? It seems like they're only here because it's obligatory and not because they actually want to do it.

Yuuki suddenly latched her arm around mine. I was a bit surprised but I decided to let her have her way because it would be kind of rude if I removed it.

I stood awkwardly next to Yuuki but she doesn't seem to mind the awkwardness. But the silence was slowly killing me and it's starting to get late too— it's probably time for me to leave.

I gently removed her arm and said, "I'm sorry but I really have to leave now. I still have to cook for my friend or else he'll eat nothing but mackerel again. Bye Yuuki."

I reached for the knob but decided to say one last thing before I leave. "Oh and Yuuki, try not to fight with Akira. She really loves you as a sister, she has just been hurt too much."

And with that, I left Yuuki with an expression that I couldn't quite decipher. Guilt? Who knows.

* * *

The next day, I woke up to the sound of my cell phone. At first, I decided to just ignore it and sleep for five more minutes. Until I remembered that it's Saturday today, my alarm isn't supposed to go off.

I immediately sat up and grabbed my cell phone, thinking it might be something important. I looked at the caller I.D and was surprised to see Akira's name on it.

"H-Hello? Akira?" I said groggily.

[Hey Bigboy! Did you miss me?]

"Of course I missed yo— I mean no, I-I mean yes! Ugh. I don't kno—"

[Chil! Even if you don't say it, I know that you miss me.]

"So why did you call? It's still early and shouldn't you be in bed?"

[IT'S SO BORING HEREEEE! I can't live like this! That's why I want you to come here Ma-ko-to-chan~]

Believe it or not, I actually found myself smiling when I heard her say my name in a cute manner, even though it was just for the sake of teasing me. I was about to say sure until I remembered that I have swimming practice later.

"I'm sorry Akira but I have swimming practice. I can't come…"

[Are you telling me it's a no? Because you do know that I don't accept no for an answer. Come here or I'll put electric eels on the school's pool so that you can't swim anymore.]

"Seriously? You do know that Haru's going to kill you if you do that."

[I don't care. Have you forgotten that I'm the bad girl? Come here because I'm not kidding. Kbye.]

Akira suddenly hung up on me. I sighed and plopped down on my bed. What's with me and all this weird girls?

I'm used to being with good girls that's why I never thought that being friends with a bad girl is this hard— gets you into some kind of family drama, always ready to threaten you just to get what she wants, and other crazy stuff.

But I won't deny that I like it. (Well, sort of.)

So between swimming practice and Akira, I'll definitely choose Akira. Missing one practice won't hurt, right?

12: End

Finished: 11:29 PM, 5/6/2014

Hey guys! Guess what? IWIB has now reached 10,000+ reads! YAAAAY! *throws confetti* Thank you to everyone who patiently waited for the updates!

** Fun fact: Comments can greatly help my mood in writing. More comments = More motivation. HAHAHA!