Finding/Picking Clips

Note: Nina Dobrev will be used a lot as an example in this chapter because she is goals.

Finding clips for your trailer can be very difficult and can be time-consuming. However, the clips are the foundation, and need to be chosen carefully.

First, you want good quality clips. I've found that clips with either a 720p quality or a 1080p quality are the best. However, this isn't always the case. It's up to you.

If you want to check the quality on a YouTube video, click the gear icon at the bottom right of the screen. The last option in the pop-up menu says quality and whichever one it says is the one you have. (720p is the standard for YouTube so if you click the quality and there's more options above it the video can go higher).

Something that works sometimes, more times than not, is to YouTube the actors your searching for and then write either 720p or 1080p (I'd recommend doing 1080p, go big or go home right?)

Example: If you're looking for clips of the actresses Nina Dobrev, you can YouTube 'Nina Dobrev 1080p'. Look through the clips that come up and if you're not finding any, then try 'Nina Dobrev 720p'

You'll also need to do some background information if you're not familiar with the actor or actress you're using. IMDB.com is a great website to use, but you could always google the person's name as well.

If they're in both movies and television shows I would look at their television shows first. Television shows have more clips on YouTube than movies do and, therefore, you'll have more options for clips.

For example, let's say we're looking for clips for the actress 'Nina Dobrev'. She's been in a few movies but she's also in the television show 'Vampire Diaries'. If you google on of her movies, the results will most likely be trailers. For the television show, however, there are promos, clips, and much more.

Now that you've done your background research and picked a television show or movie to look into, learn who they play. In 'Vampire Diaries', Nina Dobrev is the main character whose name is Elena Gilbert.

Now that we have these information, there's many things you can YouTube:

1) You can YouTube her character's name. Ex: 'Elena Gilbert' , 'Vampire Diaries Elena Gilbert' , or, using the quality lesson, 'Elena Gilbert 1080p'

2) You can YouTube fan videos for her character. Fan videos can have a lot of good clips and some have very good quality. On the other hand, some of their qualities aren't the best and some of them have overlays or effects over them (which you won't want to use in the trailer since it'll feel out of place). Ex: 'Elena Gilbert fan video'

3) You can YouTube promos for the television show. Ex: 'Vampire Diaries Promo' or 'Vampire Diaries Elena Promo'

4) You can do more background information and find out who her love interest is. There will be a lot of videos of those. On the show, one of her love interests is Damon Salvatore. So, you could try looking for videos of the both of them. Ex: 'Elena and Damon', 'Damon and Elena fan video', 'Damon and Elena clip' 

UPDATE 2020

5) You can also try searching for logoless or scene finder videos. These are great options and are normally a great quality. Depending on their show, there are usually a couple videos for every season - so multiple options. Ex: 'Elena Gilbert logoless' or 'Elena Gilbert scene finder'