Darkness Waits

Are you afraid? Scared to really look at your surroundings? To see what is lurking when things go bump in the night, things that could never be explained. Are you ready to open yourself to the darkness? Let it wash over you, what is holding you back? Your picture-perfect life? Is it really so perfect? Wouldn't you prefer to know the truth? You can never see the whole picture unless you get rid of the fright that chains you to lies; the false truths that churches want you to believe.

Do you really think that there are different realms, that Heaven and Hell exist above and below us? What if I told you that it is in fact here, on Earth, and that they coexist with us? That the living and dead, the good and bad, all live here in different dimensions. Each slightly out of phase, but sometimes, they overlap. And that is when chaos reigns.

So tell me, do you really think you are as safe as everyone wants you to believe, that the government and churches wanted you to believe? Or are you going to open your eyes?

The darkness is waiting...

~
Amber had her head resting on her dog as she laid in bed. She felt safest with him around. For a while now she had been seeing things and had been hearing voices. Just whispered words, hardly audible. It was the night that troubled her the most, when those voices began to take shape. For now, they seemed to keep distant as long as she had her dog. As many of the times she told them, her parents would not believe her when she said that there was a monster at her window, hidden behind the sheer curtains. They even went as far as turning on the light to prove to her that there was nothing there; they were right. There was nothing there in the light when her parents had flipped on the switch. It was the darkness that it liked, what it craved.

For years she tried to play blind, to ignore the toys that went flying across her room, to fake ignorance at hearing her name being whispered in the air, and took the blame for when things were moved around or lost. That was what her parents wanted. They were tired of her stories, done with her lies, and finished with checking her room for monsters. They needed their sleep, so Amber kept her dog. And as she slept through the nights, she prayed for the days. She would close her eyes, wishing for the sun. The light was their imprisonment.

However, one day she'd come home to find out Sparty had died. Her parents claimed it was due to old age, but she knew better. It was them, the demons. That was the day she learned the real meaning of nightmares. As that night descended she was taken into the darkness, and straight to hell.

"So pretty, so young. So fresh! Won't you play with me, Amber? Your doggy is gone, gone. Bye-bye he went. He was such a bad boy, always barking and biting at us. He didn't play nice. But you won't be bad, will you? No... Amber is a good girl. Amber does what she's told." The bumpy hairless demon said from her window, inching his way closer to the bed, and to her.

Amber closed her eyes tight, praying for the sun to rise. Why did the twilight hours appear to last forever without the sun to give the impression of time passing by? No matter how many times she gazed outside, the moon always looked to be in the same spot. It would insinuate that time was meaningless where darkness was concerned. It was the hours that ate away at one's soul and unmasked the demons that lurked in depths of the mind. The night was a blanket of shadows that allowed the wicked to be free- no need to hide behind the fake smiles of the day.

Her heart was racing, why couldn't she calm it and sleep? If she could just close her eyes, it would all go away. It was what her parents taught her, after all. And they would know, wouldn't they? She felt her covers being pulled along her skin, slow and steadily, before they were completely removed. Cold hands touched her arms, gripping them. Scared, she opened her eyes, unable to say anything.

"Boo!" it said, laughing menacingly. "You can't hide from me, Amber. Never ever! Can you hear that?" The demon paused as faint barking filtered into the silent room. "It's Sparty! Don't you want to see him again? I'll take you! Hold my hand, I'll take you to the never land! It will be so much fun, I promise! The darkness is hungry, Amber. Come, let's not keep it waiting."