Black Heart

She smiled wickedly, her eyes rimmed red as she spoke.

"Tell me, what is that you want? What you truly desire above all else?" She laughed, "Is it your dreams, those that are forgotten from the innocence of youth?" She drew her finger down her arm, slicing a cut. She licked the blood from her nail and moaned," No, that can't be it... What about love?"

She took her heart out in the palm of her hand. Blood dripped from it while it beat as only hearts could, to its own rhythmic tune as she gazed into the mirror. The heart turned black.

"Guess we got our answer..."

Blue eyes stared at her with longing, trapped within. A hand clutched at where her heart once was while excruciating pain ripped through her body, tearing away every ounce of hope, dreams, wishes, and fantasies. Flames licked, lapped, and swirled around her.

Reality was never an option.

"So, then... What could it possibly be that makes you hold on?"

Blue eyes became black. A scream that couldn't be heard filled the air, and a shudder suffocated the room as glass shattered. Shards laid like daggers cut the walls and pierced her skin. Blood ran like streams over valleys and contours of her body, pooling on the hard ground; ground that never gives.

With narrowed eyes she uttered, "It matters not."

The reflection was no more.