Whispers

Kill.... Kill now!

Jeannette was staring at her mother, and yet not, as she was looking at the thing behind her. She knew her mom was talking, but couldn't hear a word she said over the beating of her own heart. The thing appeared shadowy, dead, as wisps of darkness pooled from its persona. Its face seemed to be contorted and decayed with time of someone who has been around for centuries and had risen up from hell itself. Only hatred radiated from its dark eyes as it watched her. She shook her head no.

The demonic creature seemed even more infuriated when she told it no. Its long bony fingers extended to either side of her mother's head, then in one quick movement, it clasped both sides of her mother's head in its hands, ripping it off. Blood quickly poured out as it covered her mother's dead body, destroying her dress-suit. Almost as if her mother had unknowingly dressed for her own funeral.

Her mother's eyes, though, were the tipping point for Jeannette. They had continued to stare at her unflinchingly with no spark for life- like doll eyes. She screamed as she dropped to her knees, having finally registered what had just happened.

"Jeannette, honey, what's wrong?" Her mother stood up and rushed to her side, pulling her in an embrace.

Jeannette fought back at first, but began to lessen her struggles as her mom slowly rocked her daughter while she waited for the episode to pass.

"Did you take your pills this morning?" she asked, knowing it was pointless right now. Her daughter couldn't hear her right now, lost to whatever plagued her.

Jeannette was vaguely aware that she was in her mother's arms. She knew she was having what the doctor deemed an episode and couldn't do anything about it. They were getting more vivid, more real. She was so sure her mother was dead. She saw the blood streaming down, heard her take her last breath before being decapitated, and smelled the foul stench of the decayed being as its presence left her cold.

It was sometime later, however, when she finally awoke, realizing that she must have passed out. It was dark with darker shadows that moved about the room.

He's going to kill me. Please, help me!

Jeannette got out of bed and headed towards her bathroom. She needed her pills, fast. This wasn't what she needed, not right now. Her hands shook by her side as she tried to control her breathing.

I didn't ask for this, I didn't want to die!

She hurried her pace, reaching the bathroom door. In her room the shadows were more and were harder to decipher. But beyond the door she was about to enter, it was pitch black. She didn't want to go in, didn't want to turn on the lights to see what was there. She could already feel the chill coming from within, leaving her with goosebumps.

Momma, what are you doing? No, momma, that hurts! No, momma!

Jeannette covered her ears, hoping to block out the voices. Her heart was racing against time as she placed one foot into the bathroom. She had to get to those pills.

Shh, baby, don't cry. Shh, it's okay, it's okay. Please, he'll find us. He's here!

"Please, go away! You're not real," she spoke out loud.

All the crying and pleading sounded like it was coming from darkness within the bathroom. Even her own foot had disappeared into the void, and she was terrified to turn on the light. Would they be there?

"Just go away, leave me alone!" she shouted, frozen to the spot. Her flight or fight reflex no longer working due to the overwhelming terror coursing through her.

There was a moment of silence as if her prayer had been answered for once, however, her hands still trembled as she took them down. Was it over?

Jeanette tried to calm her sporadic heartbeat while she took a second before entering the bathroom. She took in a deep breath and slowly exhaled while flipping on the switch.

And then, she screamed.

"No! No! NO!" she cried as she tried to convince herself what she saw wasn't there. Blood covered the floor and walls, spilled from the tub, and splattered across the ceiling. The voices returned all at once as their bodies laid in various parts of death. She couldn't distinguish what was said, so overwhelming and demanding, that she collapsed to the floor, becoming covered in blood. The more she struggled the harder it was for her to get up as she kept slipping and sliding, occasionally falling on a dead body.

"Please, stop," she begged while tears streaked her face. "Mom!" she called out for help. "Momma, please!" she yelled, before giving in to her cries. "Mommy... help... me," she said weakly between sobs as she was giving in to despair.

The lights flickered before going out and the room became cold enough to rattle her bones. She was so cold; her body shook uncontrollably.

One, two... He's coming for you. Three, four... He's at the door. Five, six... He's risen from the Styx.

The childlike voice rose above the noise as it sang a ghostly melodic tune. It made her want to close her eyes and wake from this nightmare, only she had no control over her body.

Seven, eight... Here comes your fate.

She felt air blowing on her skin as if someone was breathing down on her, causing goosebumps. Even her heart seemed to have given up beating as she let out puffs of air from her cracked lips.

Nine, ten... Time and time again.

Jeanette fell into darkness as hands grabbed her, her nails collecting blood as they dragged across the floor.