Beauty Sleeps

"She was so beautiful."

"She'll always be our sleeping beauty."

"A little angel, with her sister now."

Voices drifted up from downstairs while Gage continued playing with the dolls on the floor before looking up at the empty crib.

"Are you going to be a Sleeping Beauty?"

There was no reply. There never was. Hearing his mom, he got up to leave. He knew he'd be in trouble if he got caught in the room. So he quietly snuck back up to his room, the attic.

"I can be pretty, too," he mumbled as he sat at the old vanity. He looked into the mirror and saw a boy staring back. Silently, he opened a drawer and pulled out the makeup. The bits his mother thought she had lost. He recalled asking for makeup as she had put it on.

"Don't be silly," she had said while putting it away. "It's not for boys."

That was when they'd put an end to dress up.

He reached for the necklace, it was his mom's favorite, and slid it on. Then, he glided the lipstick over his lips. "Now, Prince Charming will want to kiss me," the pretty boy said in the mirror.

He walked over to his bed. Lying down, he reached for the pills- the ones his mom used to help her sleep.

"I'm going to go with my sisters," he told the doll in his bed. "I'll be a Sleeping Beauty." He downed the pills.

"Mommy and Daddy will love me too," he said softly as his eyes fluttered shut.