Chapter 7/Part 3 - Diabolical Decoration

Much as Skarra loathed Pagne, the Season was shaping up to be a disaster in his absence. There was little that could be done save it while watching over Zaech, who had been in a complete fluster after meeting some mysterious Tyvern Lady. She must have been quite something to have so taken hold of his heart, but despite patrolling the skies after breakfast, lunch, dinner and supper, they had not seen her again since. Zaech remained hopeful that she would return with the start of the Season and Skarra had no reason to doubt his judgement.

"What if she doesn't like gold? Do Tyvern even like gold? I've never seen any of them wearing it. With all my charm, I can't be certain my clothes are appreciated at all," Zaech fretted while a Tyvern tailor fitted him for a new outfit.

He had insisted on trying something locally styled, but there was only so much that could be done to fit an Amphelian in their overly stiff garb.

"I don't like this, but what if we have different taste in clothing?"

Zaech's confidence had been lessened by this love, but Skarra knew this new-found humility was more becoming than any new attire. Still, the new look could not hurt with how snobbish Tyvern were towards unfamiliar things.

After some thoughtful consideration, inspiration came to Skarra. He went over to the tailor, took the pencil nub and sketch pad from his pocket and sketched an outfit that would see his Prince as the most fashionable of the Season.

"Make it black, ivory and gold with turquoise and lazuli stones. I will bring them tomorrow," he said, leaning down a fair way to speak in the old tailor's ear.

As he straightened up again, a flock of Amphoerix stormed into the salon. The pigeon-feathered brood surrounded him and they all exchanged coos of acknowledgement. They were Skarra's brothers, and while it did not please him to see them, at least it would give him an opportunity to salvage the decorations while they minded the Prince.

"How exciting! Your father must have arrived early, Skarra," Zaech sung. "It's always so wonderful to see your family. Avas, Hyris, Ieli, Uremis, Boris." He chirped at each of them in turn and they all bowed to their Prince, except for the largest of the clutch, Boris.

He was glowering at Skarra's drawing and swiped it from the trembling Tyvern tailor.

"Will disgust Amphelius with this." Boris' voice boomed like an owl's. His thick accent probably made his speech barely comprehensible to the Tyvern, but Skarra had no difficulty understanding him.

Zaech put his hand on Boris' arm and stopped him from tearing the drawing. "When it helps me win the heart of a Princess they won't be disgusted," the Prince chirped at him. "We should leave this fellow to work while you escort me to your father."

Boris conceded and shoved the sketchbook back into the elderly Tyvern's hands then turned a better-natured look to his Prince than he would ever give Skarra.

"Eraz father is with little Lord. Is early for emergency err..." he seemed to struggle in his search for the correct word, "decorating?"

"Now that would embarrass Amphelius," Zaech said with a zealous laugh.

It disappointed Skarra to see his prince drop the purse on the floor for the tailor before going to redress. As soon as he was out of sight, Skarra helped collect the spilled coins despite the crass squawking it encouraged out of his siblings.

"Enough squabbling!" Zaech chirped upon his return. "I want to see Eraz now. Take me to him."

Avas, the oldest of the brood, led the way to the palace ballroom, but none of Skarra's brothers remained for long after seeing their father arranging flowers with Lord Kabech. Zaech pranced over to embrace Skarra's father, head general of the Amphelian air forces while Skarra stood back and assessed the damage the collaboration of poor taste had caused.

"Eraz, I wasn't expecting you for another two months! How is Amphelius and Mother Dearest?" The Prince asked gleefully.

The bouquet Eraz was putting together had caught Skarra's attention and refused to let it go.

"Eraz was asked to see to little Lord's problem," the general cooed in reply.

Skarra wished the loss of his father's right eye was to blame for what he was doing with a musk-coloured ribbon. It really showed that his mother had chosen Eraz for his dancing and not his roost decorating.

"Goddess seems to be enjoying life, and Amphelius is still in sky where Prince left it." Eraz squinted his surviving eye at Skarra. "Skarra needs relief?"

Skarra's discomfort must have been showing as Lord Kabech mixed two colours of flora that should never be mixed. "No," Skarra answered with a wince.

"Looks like Skarra needs relief. Does Prince work son too hard?"

"Please, I barely work him at all," Zaech replied jokingly. "He is fine. Aren't you fine, Skarra?"

"I am fine," Skarra agreed, but his father's scrutinous eye only narrowed further until Kabech broke the silence.

"Well, if he is fine, and there is no news for the Prince, then I think it would be best if you both leave the general and I to our decorating. We've only three more dinners before the Season opens, and at this rate the first dance will be a disaster!" Kabech complained as he very cautiously placed a vase on a table, sideways. All the juice flowed onto the floor and the flowers along with it.

Skarra hurried toward the exit and made sure Zaech followed. "I have urgent matters in the city to attend to. Can I take my leave, Prince?" he said.

He would need to track down the fastest Amphelian courier he could find if he was to get his supplies in time. Unlike the Prince's new clothes, this time he would not settle for anything remotely Tyvern. Zaech's new love had to have no doubts as to the Prince's ability to decorate a nest as soon as she set foot in the palace.

"You do have to relieve yourself, don't you?" Zaech whispered.

It seemed he was unaware of how dire the decorating dilemma was.

"I have matters—"

"Just go, Skarra. I'm going to go reacquaint myself with your brothers since Eraz is too busy for me." With Zaech's permission granted, Skarra sped off down the hall.