Chapter 19/Part 2 - Prima Donna

A short while before breakfast, Vasherri was awoken by the screaming sounds of chaos outside her bedroom window. Which, after a night of merriment, was no fun at all.

Urgent as the troubles outside seemed, she spared a moment for soundly snoring pirate. The lush hairs of his chest peeked out the top of his silver long johns, as luxurious as any Amphelian woven rug. As far as she knew, not even Vrye grew any there, nor in many of the other places this magnificent specimen cultivated tufts of fluff.

She could have happily laid there until supper, twirling her fingers through the locks upon his gently rising breast, but the commotion outside was becoming impossible to ignore. Unless you were a ruggedly handsome Drakuur, it seemed. Grumbie just rolled over and kept on snoring. He would not wake for the end of the world, that fellow.

To her surprise though, as she was struggling with her corset, Grumbie stirred with a mighty snort and groped around at the sheet beside him.

"Vasherri?" he blurted, and sat up as soon as his hand came back empty.

"Over here, darling. There's some trouble outside, I really must go tend to it," she sighed and pulled a robe around her.

Grumbie rolled himself out of the bed, strapped on his wooden leg, and lumbered over to her. "I'll go sort it," he said. "If yer goin' to be leadin' the army, best ye relax until we're ready to shove off." His beard tickled her nose as he kissed her forehead. "Sally'll have me 'ead if ye show up wi' yer bags under yer eyes instead o' in yer carriage."

"If you insist, darling." It was a relief to not have to deal with vegetables or petty squabbles, and her corset was too crooked for outside eyes, so Vasherri nodded happily and let him go in her stead. Although the silly sod was still dressed in his underclothes.

Much as she would have liked a little longer in bed, what Vasherri really wanted was one last bath. Saloonka had left so many wonderful bathing goodies that it would be a shame not to use them. So, Vasherri luxuriated in salts and bubbles. Why Franz ever complained about sharing a bath with Sally, she would never understand. These products did wonders, and she could only imagine he kept the best for himself.

After some much needed relaxation, she returned to the bedroom and opened her wardrobe. Another gift from the charming, young fellow hung there. He had requested she don it for the battle ahead, though it was not armour nor a uniform.

What it was, was the most beautiful, scarlet gown she had ever laid her eyes on. In it her weapons would be on full display, without restricting her movement too much. It seemed Saloonka knew just what was needed for going to war with frustrated fellows.

She put it on. With her corset sitting right, and her face paint taking no prisoners, the Tyvern did not stand a chance.

"Bless me barnacles! Yer beauty could run more boats aground than the song o' a sea hag," Grumbie exclaimed and took Vasherri's hand, then spun her into his broad chest.

"Be careful, darling. I'm dressed to kill," Vasherri said with a trill of laughs, though they were only half genuine. She could not see herself taking anyone's lives, but perhaps with this dress, she would not have to. "What was all the fuss about?"

"Aye, the folks were all cryin' fer mutiny because they couldn't bear me keepin' ye all fer meself last night," he grinned, but Vasherri was curious, so she hit him with a pout until she got the truth out of him. "Yer too savvy. Parsnips got loose and frightened the potatoes, a few will only be good fer mash after it, but we got 'em back in their cages before they caused too much strife."

She rewarded him with a kiss on the lips, a rare treat that she never gave her customers. When she went to pull away, Grumbie kept his arms tight to stop her getting far.