Chapter 13/Part 2 - How Revolting

"That went excellently, don't you think?" the fiend said to his other marbles, who were close behind.

"Could 'ave been worse, yar," Feidai replied with nonchalant shrug.

Franz was still stunned from the impact. "What did you tell them?" he asked from his sprawled position.

"Weren't you listening? We're revolting." Saloonka grinned and pulled him up off the floor.

Franz gave himself a discreet sniff. "You might be revolting, but I try my hardest not to be," he muttered.

His wart was still humming, but it was no longer overwhelming. Perhaps the others had been right about the importance of socks after all.

"When we start the revolution, you're going to be just as revolting as the rest of us, Mud Cake," Saloonka said, latching onto his shoulders. He spun Franz around and pushed him toward the tower stairs.

"A revolution?" Franz shook Saloonka off to give himself some thinking space.

A revolution was a slightly better idea than starting a war. There was enough dissent among the Tyvern that a revolution might save thousands of lives if they could be persuaded to join, and even his father might be saved if he turned against Lord Kabech.

"How are you going to start it?"

"How are we going to start it?" Saloonka countered with every indication that he would have no part in forming the answer to that very unpleasant question.

Franz slapped himself in the forehead and groaned. If he had known there was no real plan, he would not have declared himself for the cause so hastily.

"I thought you had spent your whole life figuring out how to take over the world! What kind of Overlord are you if you don't even have a plan for that?" He threw up his arms in exasperation, only to have Saloonka grab them out of the air and start using him like a puppet.

"But I do have a plan," Saloonka said, tapping Franz on the nose with his own finger. "Underlings don't appreciate being forcibly conquered, but they do love getting involved in revolutions. Exhibit A being Goldilocks over there."

Franz was made to wave that same finger in Feidai's face.

"Some idiot tried a hostile take-over of Goldiland, and now she will never be their Underling, but she is very excited to be part of our revolution." Saloonka slapped Franz across the mouth with his own hand. "You see?"

"Not really," Franz replied through his palm. "How is that a plan?"

His hand moved to the side of his head and scratched his ear.

Portia sidled in on the conversation. "You're the son of a Tyvern, so you should have a better idea than us," she said with an accusatory sneer, as if he had any choice in who his father was.

"Quite right, Portia," Vrye chimed in, "you were raised in the palace, so you must be privy to a little gossip that might help us."

"So, you want me to plan the whole revolution?" Franz sighed. He had really stuck his foot in it this time.

"Why else would I have made you Archduke?" Saloonka replied and raised Franz' arms with a gleeful hooray.

Franz considered his position. While he wanted to prove his value, he was not excited about being directly responsible for the plot to overthrow his own father, and thus first in line for hanging and drawing should it go horribly wrong. Yet, he supposed, if it were to go right he would be celebrated accordingly and that would be nice.