Chapter 2: Orange - Our Bright Future

I sat down on the street bench and let out a sigh. We had left home a week ago, and our money is running low. The sky is orange, under the sun's warm influence. I hope our Step-Mother is as warm and as bright as that, but unfortunately, her personality colour is grey. Exactly, dark and grey.

I turned and looked at Feron, she was silently polishing her bow, she paused her action for a few seconds and looked back at me. Twin power.

"So," I said, trying to break the silence. "Step-Mother, she's evil, right?". Feron nodded and we began to go over the things we had done in the past days, how lovely and kind is our real biological mother and how cruel is our Step-Mother. 

I still can't really believe how she kicked me and Feronia out of the house with the reason of us spending too much money and is being a burden to our family since father's sick and we are poor. Well, she didn't kick us and all that, father won't aloud her. 

But she didn't let us eat or drink and she will scowl at us when something goes wrong, for example, once she found a dead cockroach under her bed, and she blamed it on us for not being clean, but really, she is the one who only give us 2L of water everyday and expect us to cook and clean. So, during that time, I feel as if my representing colour is one of those muddy brown, since the shelter is so dirty and so is myself.

Our real mother will never do that to me and my sister, I said inside my brain. Some of our neighbours said that she was dead because of an extreme illness, while some other people in town said she had merely left and went to other places. Speaking of our mother, she has green eyes and dark blue hair, just like me, but I have strips of blond, because of my father's gens. 

Well, anyways, I said to myself, the past is the past. 

Suddenly, I felt a pain in my right eye, it had been there ever since the fire, and so did the misty visions I get when I close my eyes and cover my right eye. I found out about that by accident, the first time I realized is the night when we left the house. I can still remember that night clearly.

It's very dark that night. A dark indigo colour, mysterious, but kind. I was reading one of my father's favourite books, adventure of sherlock holmes. The book has a red cover, a bit burnt on the edges, but the feeling the story creates is not one of those, hot, confident emotions like it's cover, it's more like one of those dark, creepy purple colour.

 Anyways, that's the night when Feronia came into my shelter and told us we're escaping from this nasty place. I remembered myself making one of those big smiles and started to pack stuff silently and quickly. I chose my favourite bag and put in my pensil case, a clip board full of papers, and a few books. I also recalled myself sneaking into Step-Mother's closet and took a few of her warmest clothes, including the two capes that me and Feronia are wearing right now. 

When me and Feron met at the meeting point, she was already holding a big loaf of bread and other food, clearly she is better than me at 'borrowing' stuff. I smiled, that skill is a life saving skill sometime, so I will give that skill a reddish brown colour, even though I know I won't be bad at it, but only if I am desperate, as in, very desperate.

Without knowing it, it's already dusk. Going over the things that had happened before can really kill some time, I smiled, going over stuff reminds me of the colour of those olden day photographs, where there are small black scratches and the paper is in a light yellow mixed with tiny amounts of blue, brown or green.

I came back to the realistic world as a cold wind made me shutter, even though I'm wearing a scarf, I can still feel the cold. My scarf is an orange scarf that covered my whole mouth and my chin. I usually don't adore these very bright colours, but this one is different, this one gives me courage. So I actually like this old scarf, and since it's a bit dusty on the edges already, it's not that shining and bright like the other shade of orange, and I like it this way.

Anyways, the cold made my  mind much more clearer, I glanced at Feron and she glanced back, we both agreed on one opinion: We need to find a place to stay for the night. 

She than patted her little bag of money while I threw mine up in the air and caught it. We both meant the same message: we don't have enough money.

I grinned and held Feron's hand tight. Then I started to head down the street.

"Where should we stay for the night?" I spoke my mind

"Some where cheap or on the street." Feronia replied with no expression. 

"We need to get more money." I let go of Feron's hand and stretched my arm.  

"We need to find a job." Feron continued and tightened her cape. It's starting to cool and there are wind soaring now and then.

"Robbers?" I joked, practicing my humour. "We will be on the news. 'Teenage girl robbing a bank'! How cool will that be?" I continued to soliloquy.

Feronia smiled, I think she is thinking me weird, which I am.

"Okay, I'm going to list some real ideas now." I said and started to walk backwards. Facing the falling sun.

"Huntress; Waitress; Assassin; Cashier," I started skipping backwards as my brain automatically brainstormed ideas. " Maybe we can go to the theater! Yes! The theater! We can ask for a performance and you will play piano, or guitar, and I will play flute and maybe other easy instruments!"

Feronia stopped and stared at me and I stared back. Her stare is not cold, I can tell from the quick flash of red happiness in her eyes, making her eyes a mixture of aqua and violet for a split second.

"That's a great idea!" she exclaimed and finally looked a bit more happy and cheery. But her face quickly saddened and so did mine, our eyes faded back into their original colours, even darker.

"But we need the money for the instruments." We said it at the same time.

"Our money is not enough." She continued. 

"So we still need to get a job." I finished. The sad blue came knocking on my door again. It's like the feeling when a desperate person finally saw a strip of hope, and lost it into the darkness.

"Where are we going to stay tonight?" She asked the question, a question that might change our immediate future.

"Umm," I bit my lips and mumbled as the sky went dark. The last strip of light disappeared. Now the street lights are shining faraway.

"On that tree." I said the first thing that came to my mind and pointed at a faraway big tree.

 "It's big enough." I added with a shrug.

"And it's for free." Feron made a weird smile. It's my first time seeing that expression, but I am pretty sure that I had done that many times. Purple-ish colours surrounded her and it felt very kind, like a naughty kid planning a childish plan. 

"I guess it will be safe," I added, " It's nowhere near the other apartments or farms. A nice, lonely tree in the wild. How relaxing," I closed my eyes and the colour of a dark shade of grass green came across my mind.

"And weird. Sleeping in a tree? Are we breaking the record of the most weird girls in the world?" Feronia joked and poked me on the shoulder. 

"Probably yes. And really, who cares. We will go into town tomorrow and get a job. Then ask the manager or whatever to give us our salary daily, then we might be able to afford an inn." I smiled, Feronia haven't joked in ages, because when Step-Mother is around, everything seem so solemn and cold. 

"Indeed. We are teenagers now, we can do anything as long as we try. We still have a bright future in front of us." Feronia stared at me and said a truly awesome quote.

We hugged each other, even though I know that Feronia hates physical contact and so do I. It's warm, I haven't hugged anyone for a long time now, I miss the warm orange colour that come across my mind when I hug people. Then it hit me, my scarf is that shade of orange, that's probably why is it so warm and comforting.

Shallow: I know this chapter is so weird, but at least i tried, I will try to make less dialogue next time and add in some more, umm, actions and, umm, less weird ......stuff.