Chapter 3: Yellow - Our adventurous beginning

Next morning, before I knew it, I was out on the street with an empty stomach, hunting for a job. Me and Feron had departed this dusk, heading different ways to find a living. I had asked a few stores all ready to see if they need any staff, but they all told me that I'm meant to be using a computer to upload my profile and print them.

Well, I know what a computer looks like, I had seen the pictures of one in that Blue book on the third shelf of the fifth bookcase in the library me and Feronia had visited back when we still lived in the forest. I also knew how to use one, Step-mother have a computer like thing lying in her dark drawer, but she only uses it when she thought that dad and us wasn't around. But me and Feron found out when we were playing hide and seek and she accidentally entered Step-Mother's bedroom and found the drawer unlocked. 

Anyways, even though I sort-of knows how to use one, I don't  have one of my own.

I came across a restaurant full of customers. I looked up to the sky, the golden sun is right in the middle, stating that it's around noon. I glanced at the busy waiters and waitress, a very good chance of finding a temporary job, I said to myself.

I entered the door and went up to the cashier to ask for a job with an acceptable wage. She seemed urgent to find a waitress, her face was pink because of great anxious and she soon agreed for me to be a temporary waitress after going into the staff room and discussed it with the manager. Well that was easy, I thought as I put on my uniform and as the cashier showed me around the restaurant. It was huge! Way bigger than the one back in the small town.

But I have no time for exclamation, before I knew it, I was serving an old couple.

Few hours later, when the lunch tide had passed, staff started to relax and as I kept working, it was great experience. That's when a boy walked in and winked at me, I frowned, what is he doing? He found a spot in the corner and waved for me to serve him. 

He ordered a lot of food, as if it's like two people's amount. He asked for a take away for only half of the food. Well that make sense, he's bring lunch to another person. 

"Hi, I'm Jairus, Jairus Clifford" He said to me as he finished his part of the meal and took out a phone, I recognized it from the big building around the corner that was advertising these stuff. 

"Hi," I stammered, " I'm Wendinia, " I think it would be more polite to introduce myself. 

"Wendinia Winters." I added, I guess it would be better to say my last name as well, even though now, which family do I come from doesn't matter much. 

"You look interesting," he said, studying me from head to foot. " You were not born in this town are you?" He said. Wow, this person is good at, I don't know, understanding people, I guess. 

That's when his phone made a fast-beat tone and he put it against his ears. I can hear mumbles and eventually he said:"Okay, I'm coming. So are we meeting them tomorrow?" 

And after a quiet reply, which I suppose is a 'yes', he hang up the call and smiled at me.

"Well, see you later then!" He got up and took his take away food. I shrugged and moved out of his way.

After the dinner tide, some of the staff members started to get ready for home. I went up to the manager.

"Umm, excuse me," I stammered nervously, I don't like talking to strangers. " Would you mind to give me my wage today?"

He eyed me and nodded. He walked into his office and came out a few minutes later with an envelope. I smiled shyly as he handed it to me and said: " You are fired."

I looked up and stared with confusion, did he just, fired me?

"It's not like you are bad or anything," He added with a solemn expression, "It's just because today is a special day and we are not busy around here during normal days."He explained, his face reminds of the colour blue, one of those dark blue that has the misty shades of seriousness expressed underneath. 

I shrugged and said, "Okay." and walked out the door after handing him the waitress's uniform which i had changed out of earlier. 

I walked alone on the dark street, while tearing off the edge of the envelope to see how much I've earned. $150. I shrugged and put the money back in. It will be enough for us to afford a cheap inn and some food, I calculated.

The cool breeze soared pass my cheek. It's cold out here at night. I mumbled and closed my eyes. Then I instinctively rubbed my hands, my thin gloves soon started to conduct heat, and I'm liking it. It feels like a bright flame inside endless darkness. 

I shivered and put my hands slowly on to my shut eyes, and I got a vision, yes, a vision. It's misty and unclear, plus, I know that my eyes are closed. I saw a few figures. I think it's four humans, two boys two girls, I suppose.One have her hair down gracefully while the other girl's hair is blue and long, she seems to be brushing it. 

"Ouch!" I broke out from my vision and opened my eyes, my palm is feeling weird and as I took of my gloves, I realized that there are very small smoke coning out of it. I frowned, what is happening to my hand? 

I blew my palm gently, trying to make the smoke calm down, and after it did a little, I counted the colours, there are six of them. Red, Yellow, Green, Blue, Purple and Orange. I shrieked, aren't they the six colours of the elements?

Since I like drawing so much, I remember myself flipping through books of Art back in the library at the small town that's just at the bottom of that isolated mountain. I also recall myself reading a book talking about ancient magical art, I really liked that one, and I was only up to the chapter of element colours when Feronia had came over and told me that it's time to go because Step-Mother had finished her shopping and is heading home. 

Anyways, those colours are either secondary colours or primary colours, I recall that red is for fire; orange is for ground; yellow is for light; green is for wood; while blue is for water; and purple is for dark. I frowned slightly and stared blankly into my palm. 

 I shrugged as the smoke started to disperse and disappear, leaving my hand unharmed. Well that's weird, I said to myself and I raised my eyebrows a bit. 

I kept walking down the empty street and watched out for a place to stay. It was pretty easy, since the opened places are all highlighted with lights. 

After I had a slight idea of which inn we're going to stay in, I bought some fast food from a 24-7 shop. It looked very weird. A bright building standing in the middle of a deserted place, it make your eyes ache just looking at it from a distance.

I looked down at my watch, it's a green watch that father had bought me on my 12th Birthday and it is still working properly today. It's 7:30 already. I turned around and headed for the tree that me and Feron had decided as our meeting place.

When I arrived, I found Feron walking up in the opposite direction, holding a paper bag with a cake store's logo printed on it. She had bought some food from the bakery. I smiled and held out my paper bag with some fries in it as she held out hers. Ha, twin power.

I pointed towards the direction of the inn I've chosen and she nodded. Meaning that she agrees to go to that inn. 

Few hours later, we were sitting on two single beds and Feron is polishing her bow as I sulked. She looked up as I started to talk about my day.

"Yeah, it was great," I said, " I met a boy named Jairus at the restaurant, the restaurant condition is quite good, it's just that uniform that was a bit uncomfortable. You know, I don't adore closes that exposes a lot of skins, especially my arms, because it make my birth mark stands out.  So how did your day went?"

I tried to sound relaxing, but I know I'm not. Because as I recall my day, I realized that someone, preferably a girl, was almost always in my sight and staring at me. She tried to avoid me seeing her, but of course, my eyes are very well developed and can capture sudden differences.

Anyways, I was pretty sure she is wearing a cape, a black cape with hoods. Like the ones that wizards and witches wear. I think she have red eyes, but I suppose that they are not natural born, because that very bright red is all spread evenly on her eye pupil, which is not possible for a normal human.But my thoughts were interrupted by Feron, which is actually quite good, because otherwise I would be stuck with that image and probably get a nightmare.