Burns

I walk back to my room after Baz is carted off to the hospital wing.
The Mage has allowed us back into our room. He says 'we learned a sufficient enough lesson about getting along, but I know the old families have been going off their arse about this issue. The old families may not have a lot of power in the government but they still held a lot of influence as parents of students here. Anyways, it's not just them, lots of parents have been storming the Mages office with complaints about our punishment. How they found out in the first place is beyond me, but my money is on Baz blabbing to his family. The git. Whatever happened, the Old Families don't want to have the same punishment inflicted upon their children.
     As I walk slowly back to my room I try not to think about Baz. As usual, I can't. He occupies my entire mind, and he knows it too. That makes it so much worse.
I almost go and visit him in the hospital wing but decide against it. You can't go visit your enemy in the hospital. I'm pretty sure it's against the rules.
     However, I decide to bring him some of his things from our room. He could be in the hospital wing for weeks, so I figure he may want his toothbrush and other hygiene products. Especially that hair stuff that he's so fond of.
I push it all into a bag and start towards the hospital wing.
     I see Penny as I walk down the hallway. I can only hope she hasn't seen me. She's going to be so mad I wasn't in classes. Penny turns toward me. Shit. She immediately storms over. She can really be scary when she wants to be.
     "Simon Oliver Snow! Where the hell have you been?" Penny rarely curses so I know she is being serious.
     "Um, being punished. Also, Baz was attacked by a unicorn." I say, studying the floor.
     "Simon, those are endangered and super rare. There are only 2 left!"
     "You mean 1."
     "No, there's 2."
     "Not anymore."
     "You mean..."
     "Yup," I admit, looking anywhere but her eyes.
     "Simon, you could get expelled for that!" Penny says in an urgent whisper.
     "It had its horn all the way through Baz's bicep, there was no other way. It would've killed him."
     "Since when did you start caring about Baz? I thought you had wanted him out of Watford. Unless... Did I miss something?" Penny asks.
     "No!" I yell a little loudly. I'm exasperated. "It was the right thing to do. I would've done the same for anybody."
     "But you didn't do it for just anybody." Penny pointed out. I've had enough off this already. Just because I saved him once doesn't mean I want to go and hold hands with him or anything...
     "I gotta go," I say dryly. "I'll talk to you at dinner." Penny looks at me suspiciously but says goodbye and walks to her next class.
I keep walking to the hospital wing.
     When I walk in, Baz immediately looks up.
     "Couldn't stay away, could you Snow?" he taunts. He's laying on the hospital bed with his tattered shirt still on. I have half a mind to walk away but I remember why I'm here. I walk over to his bed. Baz looks horrible. He's all grey. He looks tired and washed out.
     "I...uh... I brought you some stuff." For some reason I can never get my words out straight around Baz. I reckon it's because he's evil, and a vampire. I have to remind myself sometimes. I hand Baz the bag. He looks through it.
     "Well, Snow, it looks like you're dumber than I thought."
I'm taken aback at this . I've just done something extremely nice for him, after saving his life. Even though he tired to kill me last year.
     "Excuse me?" I say, with a little attitude.
     "How long long do you think I'm going to be here, Snow?"
     "A couple weeks."
     "They have healing spells, you imbecile. You've brought me enough stuff for days, but I'll probably be discharged tomorrow. Or did you forget how magic works?" He's sneering. I want to punch him.
     "Why can't you just accept it when people do nice things for you?" I cry.
     "Is this your definition of nice? Now I'm going to have to carry all this stuff back up to our room tomorrow. I hardly call that nice, Snow."
I start to steam. I'm trying really hard not to go off in the hospital wing.
     "What's the matter, Snow? Upset that you can't be the hero?" Baz taunts.
It takes every ounce of patience in my body to walk away without strangling Baz.
I stomp out. My footprints are leaving smoldering burn marks on the floor and few things catch on fire, but I'm too wound up to care. I slam the door a loud as I can behind me, which prompts a lecture form a teacher about anger. I'm don't listen and that earns me a detention.
This is why I don't go to visit the enemy in the hospital, because no matter how much he pretends he cares it's all an act. I hate him. I hate him so much it burns.