Hospital

EDITED

When I was in my hotel room, and Vince called me saying Shawn was in the hospital, I didn't hesitate driving there as fast as I could (and probably breaking several laws.) All I cared about was knowing if my best friend was okay. 

It was an honest scare to be called by your boss and being told, "Hey, yeah, Shawns in the hospital, come on up." Like it is Shawn we were talking about here, it could be countless reasons. And all of them worried him.

I walked into the hospital and went to the front desk, the girl not paying attention as she clacked away on the keyboard. She looked fairly young, and it could be debatable if she was legal to work here. It was ridiculous, she literally looked like 15.

"Excuse me?" I spoke in a low tone. 

I was worried. Shawns been having some back troubles for awhile now. What if his back actually like broke? 

"Oh uhm!" she jumped up when she saw me looking taken aback. Was it because I was a 6"4' buff guy with long hair, or was it because she knew who I was? "Can I help you?" she asked sinking back down into her chair slightly.

"Yeah, I need to know the room to Shawn Michaels." 

She started typing in her computer. "Sir, I can not give you the information to that room." 

Are you fucking kidding me? "No, I am sure you can. my best friend and boss are in there." 

She looked frightened, and if I wasn't angry on potentially not being able to see Shawn, I'd laugh. I know Shawn would go off laughing at her expression. "I could call the room..." she picked up the phone. "What's your-" 

"Hunter." 

She just nodded and called. After finishing she told me I was able to go and it was room 182. 

As I walked to the elevator and pressed the button, it took too long to open, so I opted for the stairs, and ran up it in a matter of time.I didn't even knock when I walked in, and just burst through the room like some madman.

It was white, just like any hospital room. With the stupid posters about the flu and all of that hanging around. There was plant photos, a couple of actual plants, a window to the right, and blue curtains. Vince was in the corner filling out papers, and waved his hand at me, not even looking up. 

Then there was Shawn. He was propped up on the bed, in the ugly white hospital gown. Despite how he looked just yesterday when I saw him, he looked like he aged 20 more years in a matter of 24 hours. His hair fell down beautifully against his shoulders, which was almost sickly compared to how he looked. His brown cowboy hat was on his lap. He was pale, which was odd for him, because he always had that Texas glow to him. He had dark purple bags under his eyes that nearly looked like fading black eyes.

"Shawn? Buddy?" I asked sitting down next to him in the chair.

Shawn looked up, and open his eyes, and pulled a very tired and lousy grin when he saw me. "Hunter." he said breathlessly. "You're here." 

"Of course I am. So what's the situation?" I turned to look at either men to inform me of what had went down.

"Back problems." Vince said looking up from his papers. "I'm filling out papers now."

"What happened to finally make you come here?" I questioned. 

"I woke up unable to move.  It just hurt Hunter. I'm getting worn out." 

"How did you end up here with Vince?" 

"We were suppose to have a meeting about some matches, and I didn't show up so he came by my room and well. Now we are here." 

I just nodded. I felt so bad from Shawn. I know how bad he must be feeling. Injuries was never fun, especially with careers like ours. But, I wasn't worried about DX, I was worried about him."So what's going on now?" 

"Waiting for the doctor." Vince let me know sitting down in the chair. 

I looked at Shawn as he looked back down again. I don't know whether he was trying to sleep, or if he was  simply thinking. We all sat in silence until the doctor came. 

"Okay so do you guys want the good news or bad news first?" 

"Good news." 

"Bad news." 

I looked at Shawn, "Good news Shawn. We want the good news first." 

He rolled his eyes at me and crossed his arms. "I guess Mr. Helmsley here is demanding the good news first." 

The Doctor cracked a smile. "So for good news, you will be able to leave today." 

Shawn smiled looking at me and high fived me, the sound loud in the silence.

"And the bad news?" Vince killed our small celebration. 

"Oh uh yes." he shifted. "I don't know how there is any good way of saying this, but you need surgery." 

Shawn shrugged. "When is the quickest I can get it? And how long will recovery take so I can get back in the ring?" 

"That's where the problem is. Mr. Michaels you may never be able to wrestle again." 

---- 

We had just gotten out of the hospital and I was taking Shawn back with me, so I could help him. I didn't want him stuck unable to move all by himself again. The entire time he was quiet, and he was just laying there on the bed staring off into nowhere. 

"Shawn..." I trailed off coming to sit by him. 

Shawn looked down, "I don't want to talk about it." 

My heart  broke seeing my friend like this. I went behind him and pulled his hair back and tied it up with a ponytail. As I was doing so, it nearly fell through my fingers. It was so soft and silky, and I don't know how he did it. Then again, he always kept it nice as it was his favorite feature.

After I finished I pulled him in for a hug. "It's okay to be upset Shawn. Your career is on the line."

It wasn't just even his career, it was his life. Sure he could do other stuff for wwf like manage, script, all of that, but actually wrestling is the best. Besides, he's worked too damn hard to get where he was now. 

Shawn turned and leaned into my touch by putting his arms over my neck, his legs curled up to his chest, and his head on my chest. He was silent for a few minutes until he started shaking and crying. 

"Shhh. Shawn, it'll all be okay." I comfortable rubbing my hands down his back letting him cry it out.

"I don't want it to be over Hunter.. I want to be able to say I'm done, not this," he shook his head looking up at me. His blues eyes soaked with tears, causing his eyes to be bloodshot. And it wasn't a pretty sight. 

I breathed in knowing I had to be calm, and positive, because he freaks out enough on his own, and if I started to freak out all hope would be lost. 

"I know Shawn. But you've already done so much. I know you wish there could be more, and hopefully there is. But if there isn't, I want you to know you've done so much, and are one of the best there has ever been okay? And even though you may not win any more championships, you will always be a champion in my heart okay?" 

Shawn released my neck with one arm to wipe his eyes smiling up at me, "I love you Hunter." 

"I know." I grinned. "I love you too." 

And that night we both fell asleep in each others.