o n e

"come on, jay." sirius is pleading.

"not the fucking puppy eyes. anything but the puppy eyes," james mutters, sliding his thin hands under his glasses frames to rub his eyes. "i know you're still doing it."

"no, i'm not," sirius lies. they're at james' favorite coffee shop on the face of the earth, and sirius is putting forth his best efforts to convince his best friend to take a cross-country road trip with him after graduation.

"i don't even like you that much," james continues, "what if i murder you halfway through the trip?"

"then it'll be easier for you to find a place to hide my body," sirius quips back, beaming. "plus, we've been friends for, what, ten years now? you haven't killed me yet." james rolls his eyes. "fuck off. we both know you love me somewhere in there."

"deep down," james mumbles. a smirk ruins his annoyed façade when sirius glares at him

"but seriously," sirius says, and his voice becomes more, well, serious. "we should do this, james. it would be so much fun. your dad would let us take tchaikovsky."

"whoa, whoa, whoa. i don't know about that," james says quickly, making sirius slow down. when he gets excited, he starts tossing out ideas that aren't necessarily possible, and james has to be the one to ground him. "si-si, you know how much he loves tchaikovsky."

sirius' scowl could curdle milk. "don't call me that."

james is grinning. he'd come up with the nickname back in primary school, and unfortunately for sirius, it'd stuck. it was the only real nickname sirius could have, anyway. "seriously, though, man. i really don't think i would bet on tchaikovsky if i were you."

sirius downs his espresso, wincing madly from the bitterness after. "how much are we betting?"

james rolls his eyes. tchaikovsky is the name of his dad's old volkswagen van, which, mind you, he loves more than life itself. maybe even more than he loves james. "really. just forget about it."

sirius sighs, bummed, and then pats his pockets. his eyebrows crinkle with confusion, and he looks up at james.

"i took your cigs," james reminds him. he hates sirius' gross habit. he always smells cigarette smoke on himself after he leaves sirius' presence.

"can i have one?"

"hell no." james gets up from the table, taking sirius' espresso mug with him. his best friend grins a thank you.

"james, honestly. please, can i have a cigarette?" sirius asks as they leave the coffee shop. 

"no," james laughs. "quitting isn't gonna happen if you keep smoking."

"but i want one," sirius whines.

"too bad, sucka." 

- - -

"what are you doing after graduation, remus?" lily's voice is soft, like a song, and it's one of remus' favorite, most familiar sounds.

"hmmm?" remus had been dozing at the end of lily's bed as she'd been cleaning her room. she straightens her jewelry box now, and is staring at him with a half-smile on her face. "what'd you say?"

"i said, what are you doing after graduation?"

remus snuffles, still half-dreaming. "dunno. some gay shit, probably."

lily laughs. "everything you do is some gay shit, remus."

that makes remus laugh, too. "yeah, fair enough." he sighs. he doesn't have any plans for after graduation, honestly. he was going to college, of course, but for the entire summer, he'd probably lay on the couch and watch friends reruns. "you doing anything fun?"

lily absentmindedly bites at her thumbnail. "mmm...i'm not sure either. i wanna do something kinda crazy." she giggles, sits on the bed next to remus. he shifts over so she has room to lay down, too.

"crazy like what? tattoo each other's names on our foreheads?" remus half-laughs at himself. lily never laughs at his jokes, but he thinks he's funny, so whatever.

lily rolls her eyes, shoves his arm. "no, idiot. i don't know yet. i wanna do something crazy, though."

remus closes his eyes again. "well, do something crazy then, red." he tosses an arm over his eyes. he's so tired. "you know i'll do it with you, whatever it is."

lily smiles.

[ok so that's the end of the first chapter!! pls let me know what you think and if i should keep writing!!]