Chapter 4

"If you don't receive love from the ones who are meant to love you, you will never stop looking for it."

Robert Goolrick, The End of the World as We Know It: Scenes from a Life

Emilia awoke with a sore headache and her eyes so heavy she could barely open them.

She had barely slept at all that night, her mind had been in a turmoil of thoughts. When she had finally found sleep it was only for an hour or so before sun broke through the thin curtains, forcing her into consciousness. She groaned and sat up, rubbing her sleep crusted eyes in protest. Jane stirred beside her but remained asleep. Emilia woke her gently and began the daily routine, every muscle in her body yearning for sleep.

"Are you alright dear? You looked exhausted." Mrs. Webb remarked as Emilia sat down at the table.

"I didn't sleep much last night."

"You poor dear, I hope Mrs. Lewis doesn't work you too hard." Mrs. Gregson sniffed.

"I get off early today luckily, her younger son is returning and she wants to welcome him properly." Emilia poured herself some coffee and drank it, the scalding liquid bringing tears to her eyes.

"That's nice, but I do have bad news." Mrs. DuBarry looked anxious as she spoke. "I have received an offer of marriage and I have accepted."

"Really?"

"You lucky thing!"
"Oh my!"
The statement had elicited gasps from the table but Mrs. Webb cleared her throat.

"Go on Olivia, explain," she said in her most rational voice.

"Well remember how I told you about Mr. Evans?" Mrs. DuBarry was quite flushed but she continued at a level pace. "His wife passed away ten years ago, the same as my dear Timothy. Anyway, he is ever so kind and he asked me last night. I miss marriage and of course I accepted. I shall be leaving this fine establishment within the next two weeks."

"I am ever so pleased for you," Miss O'Malley, the youngest apart from Emilia sighed.

She was in her late twenties, unmarried and with no family. She was a fierce, determined woman and though she could seem cold and brooding, she was really a romantic at heart. She had always secretly dreamed of marriage, not that she would let anyone know that.

"Thank you Nellie," Mrs. DuBarry turned to Emilia then. "Dear Emilia, I am sorry to do this. I can look after Jane until I leave, I would be more than glad to."
"Thank you, I am so happy for you and I do wish you the best," Emilia said earnestly.

"Thank you. But shouldn't you go before you're late? It's already a half past seven" Mrs. DuBarry prompted gently. Emilia checked her watch and gasped.

"Yes, thank you," She stood up and planted a hasty kiss on Jane's head before hurrying out of the door.

She reached the shop on time and entered it with a tired smile. She was exhausted but was determined to not let that affect her mood.

"Good morning Emilia," Mrs. Lewis was already setting out some bolts of bright taffeta and Emilia took her bonnet off and went to help her.
"Morning, I'm sorry I wasn't here earlier.

"No need to apologize, you're on time and that's what matters."

They completed the tasks in silence, Emilia too tired to say anything remotely intelligent sounding. After a while Mrs. Lewis broke the silence.

"Since the shop is closing at two, how would you like to join Fredrick, Max and I for some tea upstairs?"
"That would be lovely, thank you." As much as Emilia longed to return home and sleep, she didn't want to appear rude and perhaps it would be fun. Besides, she was sure Fredrick would be there.