Chapter 22

'No man in the world is worth shedding a tear for. Least of all him who his cost you so much already'

-The Virgin's Lover, Philippa Gregory

Emilia knew what she was going to say but it didn't make it any more pleasant.

Lettie and Jane were once again, under the care of Mrs. Gregson for the afternoon and Emilia was almost alone as she waited outside the bank.

There were few people out today, the sudden heat from the previous day had turned into storms and she stood underneath the awning, trying to keep as dry as she could.

Soon enough Fredrick emerged from the building and as his eyes found hers they narrowed for a fraction of a second, but he smiled and waved a moment later.

"Emilia, good afternoon," he kissed her cheek. She stiffened as he did so, but didn't protest.

"Good afternoon, how are you?"
"Fine, thank you, shall we find someplace dry to go?"
"Why not," they walked in silence down the road and every step Emilia could almost feel the current of tension between them.

He must know. She though miserably, but there was nothing she could do about it now.

Soon they had settled into a small cafe and after Fredrick had ordered, (Emilia had said she didn't want anything) she began.

"Fredrick I've come to talk to you about something and I really don't know how to approach this but I've decided to marry your brother." She said in a rush. When he didn't she hurried on, starting to get even more nervous. "What I mean is that I am very fond of you but I think," she would've said more but he had started to look angry so she trailed off, a little hesitant.

"Fond of me, but more fond of my brother I suppose." He snorted.

"Well evidently, as I've decided to marry him," Emilia frowned but he wasn't done.

"So you let me court you, let me fool myself into believing I had a chance and then snatched that hope away? Is that how you like to play it? You prefer the smarter, handsomer brother? I notice I was good enough until he came along." He took an aggressive bite of his sandwich, as if that particular edible had done him a great personal wrong. Emilia twisted her mouth, tight knuckled but silent. "As soon as Max gets back you decide he was better? And yet you still weren't done with me. You toyed with me," he continued but she snorted, snapping at him:

"For God's sake, stop being so melodramatic." She retorted. "I didn't toy with you! For two years I pined after you and you barley even gave me the time of day. But when Max came back you were all interested. I don't even believe you ever loved me, you just wanted to prove that you could beat your brother at something, didn't you? You just wanted to marry me to prove that you were better than him." She hadn't realized it before but she did now and cursed herself for not noticing before.

"That's not true!" He was flushed and looked furious, his nostrils flaring.

"Isn't it? You thought that if I married you, you could finally beat your brother at something. Well it didn't work, did it? Because you're not better than him and you never will be!" She stood up, angrier than she had been in a while. He stood up as well, glaring at her.

"You think Max is so perfect do you? You think he has no faults?" He laughed bitterly. "You're just a silly, unfaithful girl and I pity the man who marries you."

"Well it won't be you so don't worry. I'd never marry a self pitying, manipulative rat like you," she was unreasonably furious now, she knew, but she couldn't stop. She ran out of the cafe, slamming the door as hard as she could and started to dash down the street, ignoring the rain in her fury. She past darted around people, ignoring shouts of anger and irritated mutters of the people she bumped into.