Chapter 12

'When you have expectations, you are setting yourself up for disappointment.'

- Ryan Reynolds

Emilia rose out of bed soon after, leaning heavily on Samuel. Her ankle was largely swollen and throbbed with a consistent pain. The doctor had left something for her head which had numbed the ache a little and, despite Mrs. Lewis' protests, she went downstairs into the shop where she resumed her work at the sewing table. She greeted customers and worked on projects as she would everyday.

Something within her had changed: She wanted to forget the past as best she could. She wanted to stay with her identity as the widow, Mrs. Fisher, she wanted to stop worrying about the scandals and secrets of being the illegitimate daughter of an Earl and an unmarried mother. She just wanted to start her life fresh, leaving Christopher South, Henry Collins and her unknown mother in the past. She wanted to focus on raising Jane. She was content to live life without a husband, she thought, perhaps her whole life did not depend on having one. She figured she could survive well enough on her own.

"Emilia dear, would you like to stop for some lunch?" Mrs. Lewis asked, startling Emilia out of her daydreams.

"Oh, yes please. I've just finished these trousers."

"Perfect. Why don't you stay here for luncheon? I've got some meat pie from last night if you'd like that."

"Yes please, if you have enough."
"Of course I do. We'll close up the shop for lunch and we can eat upstairs. I think Fredrick will be home soon."

"Oh," Emilia waited for the usual fluttering in her breast but it didn't come. Mrs. Lewis shut up the shop and lead her upstairs.

Ten minutes into lunch Fredrick arrived, looking flushed and tousled, but smiling.

"Good afternoon Emilia, ma," he planted a kiss on his mother's cheek before taking a plate from the cupboard and filling it with food. He sat next to Emilia, looking between the two, a lopsided grin on his face. "How was your day Emilia? I heard you went to a play yesterday? How was that?" He asked.

"It was very good, how are you?" Emilia asked.

"Well, very well," he seemed oblivious to the events of last night; perhaps he did not know, but he seemed to be chipper and in good spirits. Seeing this only raised Emilia's spirits and she found that she was able to laugh and speak more freely than in the morning. She delighted in his company and was saddened when the twenty minutes were over and Fredrick had to leave. She said a fond farewell to him before returning to her work and thoughts of a solitary life.

Later that afternoon Emilia returned home, limping badly, to find Jane, Samuel and Lettie sitting comfortably in Samuel's small room.

"Emilia, how are you feeling?" Samuel rose to greet his sister.

"I'm better thank you, how were the girls?"

"Good, would you like some tea or something?"

"No thank you, I just want to sleep if I'm honest. Hello Jane, did you have a good day?" She greeted her daughter who shrugged aimlessly and continued to play with the little wooden soldiers that Lettie had brought.

"Are you sure you're fine? You look worn out."

"I am tired and sore, but emotionally I think I'm fine."

"I don't think someone in your state can be emotionally fine."

"Believe me, I just don't want to think about it. Thank you," she kissed his cheek. "Come on Jane, we should return home." She held her hand out and Jane reluctantly stood and took her mother's hand. "Good night Samuel, Lettie," Emilia hobbled out the door and down the stairs, her little daughter in tow.