Chapter 20

'Mixed feelings, like mixed drinks, are a confusion to the soul.'

-George Carman

Since Samuel had found employment he had been happier and more good tempered. He found that idleness didn't suit him and the distraction of work was welcome.

It did not, however, distract him from his sister's predicament.

He had noticed that she was increasingly quiet and thoughtful. He knew her mind of course, were occupied by thoughts of the Lewis brothers and that she wasn't telling him everything. Whenever he tried to question her about it she went quiet and avoided his queries. He was worried about her and though he wanted to help her he almost wanted to see how she sorted this out on her own. Nevertheless his curiosity prevailed and while they were dining one evening he tried to approach the subject of the Lewis brothers.

"Have you seen Max or Fredrick lately?" She looked up at him, her eyes narrowing.

"Why?"

"Just wondering, I know you haven't made a decision yet so I was curious."

"I saw Fredrick two days ago, otherwise no. How are you enjoying work?"

"Fine, but have you talked to Max at all?"

"No, why should I?" She sat up slightly, her eyes focused on the plate in front of her.

"Because of your bold claims of love for him. Or have you changed your mind already?"

"What's that supposed to mean?" She demanded, looking up.

"Never mind," he said hastily, "but are you going talk to him?"

"Eventually, but I really don't see how it's any of your business."

"Of course it's my business, I'm your brother!"

"So?"

"So I have an obligation to protect you." She snorted at this.

"Protect me from what? Max Lewis?"

"Of course not, you know very well what I mean," he looked piqued but she rolled her eyes.

"I assume you don't trust me to be a very good judge of character?"

"I never said that," he tried to look incredulous but he could feel the heat flowing into his face.

"But that's what was heavily implied."

"It isn't that I don't trust you but I want to make sure you're happy."

"And I appreciate that but I assure that I can find my own joy. Yes, I love Max but I've been thinking and I'm not really sure if he loves me back or I've just been deluding myself. What if I've just been imagining it all?"

"I'm sure you're not, but if you want to really be sure than you should speak to him."

"And what am I supposed to say? 'Oh, sorry to bother you, but are you in love with me and would you consider marrying me?' I'm sure that would go so well," Emilia huffed, spearing a potato viciously.

Samuel didn't reply, knowing that there was no point in arguing when she was in this mood.

After supper Emilia and Jane returned to the boarding house where she found that a message had been left for her.

"Max Lewis came in while you were out," Mrs. Webb informed her. "He left this," the landlady handed her a folded paper which she took, worry blossoming up in her.