Chapter 15

'It's time to say goodbye, but I think goodbyes are sad and I'd much rather say hello. Hello to a new adventure.'

-Ernie Harwell

Emilia sat at her desk, pen tapping restlessly. The paper in front of her couldn't seem to capture her attention. She had been trying to compose a letter to her mother but words seemed inadequate to say what she wanted to say. She knew that her mother probably wouldn't read it. Why should she when she hadn't seen any of the other ones?

But then again, if Emilia sent it to June, June could give it to her mother.

Yes, that was the solution.

She mentally kicked herself for not thinking of this before.

Dear June,

how are you? I am sorry to bother you but since none of my other letters seem to reach my mother, I was wondering if you could give this letter to her.

Many thanks and much love,

Emilia.

Dear Mother,

I just found your note in my book. I miss you and

Emilia scratched that out, trying several different forms of the same sentiment, but coming up with nothing. What could she possibly say that would accurately reflect what she was feeling? She crossed that out and tried again:

in my book and though I am content here, though I wish very much that I was back home. Everything is very different here and though people are very kind I feel almost like an alien. I miss you terribly. How is father? How is the house? Have you seen June lately? I just wish I was home. But, because of Samuel's predicament, I understand that may be hard. Hopefully one day I can visit. Please write back.

All my love,

Emilia.

Emilia folded the letter, writing her address on it, and placing it in an envelope. There was so much more she wanted to say, but she didn't think one letter was adequate.

       Lord and Lady Turner sat in the parlour, taking tea when the butler, (a new one Lady Turner had been forced to hire), entered the room.

"Constable Newman to see you," he said.

"The constable?" Lady Turner frowned, looking at her husband.

"Send him in," Lord Turner nodded.

"Alfred, what is this about?"

"I don't know, we'll just have to see. Ah, constable, good day," Lord Turner said as the beefy constable entered the room.

"Lord Turner, I hope I am not interrupting."

"No, no, what can we do for you?"
"I have news regarding your son."
"Samuel?"

"Yes,"

"Well, the matter of Lady Rose Bradford."

"Yes?" Lady Turner cut in, almost breathless.

"Well it seems we were wrong. A maid came to us yesterday, saying that it was not your son at all, but a certain Robert South, who, we have found, is now also deceased."

"So Samuel's innocent," Lady Turner smiled, feeling a great weight lifting off her shoulders.

"Yes, but the matter still remains that he escaped from a cell in the station."
"We can fix that, please, come into my office," Lord Turner stood and the constable followed him, a little bewildered. "I think you may find that this will appease," Lady Turner heard her husband say.