Chapter 21

If Akemi still had lungs, she would have watched with baited breath. Claire’s story was better than a movie. Akemi totally loved Sam and Nat, but there was no denying that two people were not enough company. During the last two weeks Akemi had grown sick of seeing Senator Fontley’s angry face, Sam's frustrated one, and Nat’s blank, politically pacifying one. Watching Claire’s life was a breath of fresh air.

And goodness, those kimonos were beautiful. Akemi was from Japan and she knew good craftsmanship when she saw it. That Crosspoint hadn’t been exaggerating; his restaurant must be super exclusive (and expensive) to afford exports like that.

Francois was briefing them on the dinner guests now. He’d planned who would sit in each of the twelve chairs, and he wanted it all to be perfect.

“The two Tergre here, the Vel family at the other end, single Crosspoint here and here...” He removed the chairs to leave empty spaces for the Crosspointers, and arranged the cup chairs for the Vel.

When he mentioned any specific names, Akemi immediately searched for them in the Seltan databases she could access.

He wasn't kidding about having exclusive clients.

The Tergre family he mentioned was listed as one of the founding names in Seltan history. They currently owned 64% of mining capabilities on the planet... they were like the Rockefellers in New York.

Akemi also stored the list of names on Basher’s computer. Perhaps he could track down this restaurant through them.

Suddenly Claire tripped and her glasses flew off. Akemi heard Claire groan.

"If these break I'm going to kill myself," Claire said sarcastically.

Akemi wasn't worried. The frames were titanium - light and very strong. Claire would have to do more than drop them to bend those babies.

However, in the moment it took Claire to stoop and grab the glasses, Akemi realized she had an interesting opportunity. It was probably a bad idea, but...

Claire picked up the glasses, automatically grabbing the bridge so as not to smudge the lenses, as she settled them on her nose.

Safe mode initialized. Are you injured? Akemi sent.

Nat and Sam would smack her if they knew the risk she was taking, and Basher would be very angry that she disregarded his directions, but Akemi didn't care. She wanted to be involved, and she would be careful. Besides, what could they do to her?

Claire froze when the words showed up, and Akemi knew exactly what she was thinking. She still wanted the glasses, but if the others knew they had turned on, they'd freak out again.

Akemi smiled to herself. She could give Claire a way out.

Please clench your jaw for yes

Or blink for no

Claire blinked slowly, looking guiltily around, no doubt to see if anyone had noticed.

Good enough for now. Akemi faded out, she didn't want to overwhelm Claire or she might change her mind and do without the glasses. And this was too fun.

***

The other girls went off upstairs to change, and Claire surreptitiously took off her glasses as if to clean them.

She squeezed hard on the bridge while she did it, and put them back on hopefully.

Hmm. No menu, no off option. Claire cleaned them again, very carefully, looking for a tiny switch or camera, or anything that would indicate how to turn these off. She would have tried speaking a few random commands but then the others might realize what had happened.