Chapter 37

Claire walked carefully to the rendezvous point, feeling appropriately nervous. They’d practiced this situation, but the plan seemed riskier and riskier the longer she thought about it. Could she really deceive Basher long enough for her tablet to get the codes from him? She wasn’t sure anymore. And should she deceive him? It was one thing to help her friends, but now that she was alone it felt a lot more like betraying Basher and Akemi.

Now that she knew the glasses weren’t entirely automated, she’d been reviewing all her interactions with Akemi, and she could see how they’d been a little more than ‘smart.’ But what she couldn’t explain to Sage and the others was how friendly and reassuring Akemi’s presence had been all this time. Even though she had been ‘spying’ on her, Claire couldn’t feel angry about it. And somehow Basher had been involved with that, so she was disposed to think better of him too. And if he knew she was human and thought better of her – well, it was just too much goodwill to go around. Things were bound to go badly.

The deserted corridor was narrow here, only nine or teen feet across, and at this time of night, rather dim. The metal ribbing in the rounded walls was rusted and flaky, and a sheen of scummy moisture coated part of the floor. This corridor was scheduled for maintenance sometime in the next week, which was part of the reason they chose it.

Basher was already there. He leaned against one wall of the corridor, seemingly relaxed, but his eyes snapped open the moment she turned the corner into view. He remained against the wall, but she could feel the taut energy flowing through him. A bulky bag sat at his feet, which she eyed warily.

Claire stopped ten feet away from him.

“Uh. Hi,” she said awkwardly. For all her planning she hadn’t considered how to start this conversation. Akemi had shown her videos of Basher and his fiancé, which suddenly seemed too personal a thing to know about him. And since he’d been involved with her glasses situation, he knew too much about her as well.

Despite all that knowledge, the only interaction they’d had was decidedly negative.

He nodded. “I don’t feel like we really met before. I should introduce myself.” He stood up straight and took a step forward, like he would come shake her hand.

Perfect.

Claire cautiously approached him, as if she didn’t want to be near him.

She tentatively put her hand in his, and he gripped it firmly. “My name is Basher Kapur. It’s nice to meet you.” His hand was warm and rough and his grip was different than the Rik.

Claire chuckled nervously. “I’m Claire Kindler. Nice to meet you, too.”

Claire pulled her hand away and leaned against the wall next to him. She tried to look casual, but felt like she was standing way too close.

Basher waited. He rocked back on his heels. “Well. I understand you wanted to talk to me and I’ve wanted to talk to you, too. Would you like to start?”

Claire felt more uncomfortable than she expected.

“Well then, I’ll start,” Basher said. He leaned back against the wall, putting them side by side, rather than him towering over her. It was still close enough for the tablet to work, Claire thought.

“I’m not going to apologize for the blood test. I had to follow protocol to discover if you were a Rik. It was just bad luck that you were already gone before I could tell you that the illness was a test.” His words were plain, but his tone was apologetic. “I do want to apologize for threatening to turn you over to Faal. I understand that you were scared, and my words played a big part in causing you to go with the Rik. I never should have threatened you that day.”