Book 3 - Chapter 1

This book will be up on Amazon on December 20. Thanks for reading!

http://www.amazon.com/Eradicate-Alien-Cadets-Book-3-ebook/dp/B00NZC1VU8

Prologue

In the few months since humanity won their sentience trial, one particularly powerful alien has taken an interest in influencing their affairs: Faal of Merith II. After secretly causing the explosion of the space station circling Earth, he hinted the human investigators toward the planet of Selta where he might control the investigation and manipulate them as he wanted.

There were three things he wanted to accomplish, and in two he succeeded. He gained possession of the unique computer known as Akemi (the only human-hybrid biocomputer), and he caused the humans to dissolve their treaty with the Rik (a body-stealing species he particularly detested.) His third goal was to repossess the human girl, Claire, to punish her for injuring him. Under the pressure of time that goal was temporarily relinquished, but he still had plans for her.

Now he has the leisure to study the human computer at his own estate, and more importantly, to realize his long-held dream: the eradication of an entire species. As the Rik were cast off by their only sponsor (the humans), they are fair game in the galaxy. Faal has already begun seizing those on Selta for execution in one of the Merith’s famed death chambers, but as far as he is concerned, they are only the appetizer to hearty feast.

CHAPTER 1

Death Chamber

Planet: Merith Prime

Sage had been caught only a week after he escaped from Selta. It was both anticlimactic and unpleasant, and he resented the manner of it almost as much as he dreaded the inevitable outcome.

After two weeks of being shipped about with other prisoners, their ship landed on Merith Prime and he was thrown into a dungeon. It was a ridiculously clichéd dungeon – damp, dark, and cold – the whole deal. In normal circumstances he’d be glad to be planetside no matter what the conditions, but not this time.

There were at least thirty other Rik in there, in human bodies that reeked in the distinctly human way, and he was not surprised when one of them exclaimed at his arrival. After all, Sage had chosen bodies for hundreds of his fellow Rik. Most likely he knew many of them.

“Sage!” An older woman approached him with an aristocratic nose and gray hair in a messy bun. She looked angry, which didn’t surprise him either. Sage knew her well. Her body was fifty-three years old, though she was much older. The body had been gleaned along with twenty others from a raid in northern Canada. He’d picked it for her. He’d convinced her that although there were downsides to choosing a somewhat older body, the relevant experience and authority gained with years would suit her better than the young, vapid brunette who’d caught her fancy.

“Director,” Sage said. “I can’t say I’m surprised to see you here.” It had been inevitable. She was one of the most powerful members of their species, and she was still on Selta when the extermination began.

“I’m surprised you’re still alive,” she said coldly.

“You took the words right out of my mouth.” Sage walked past her, but she didn’t take the hint.

“We heard you were captured by the Spo and their hound on Selta months ago.”

“I was.  I escaped. It’s a long story and I don’t want to talk about it.” There were no benches in the dungeon, and most of the wall space was taken by others. Sage flopped down on the hard ground. “I’ve had a pretty bad morning, all things considered, and I just want to close my eyes.”