Chapter 28

Claire was idly and happily rubbing oil into the smooth wood of the bar, making it shine with a chocolaty-brown gleam. The evening meal service was in two more hours, and she had a pleasant feeling of lazy goodwill.

She couldn't believe how good a few weeks of relative security could feel. Yes, she'd been fairly secure on Final Say - but there had been all those alien eyes on her, wondering, questioning, and criticizing her. Sometimes scaring the hell out of her.

She dripped a few more drops of oil onto her rag and ran it along the front lip of the bar, getting into the slight groove that collected dust. She could stay here for a very long time. She had company that was almost human, she had work that was only marginally frightening, and she felt safe.

Diva and Juliet had been bugging her to come out with them to see Lower Selta. They'd cautiously begun exploring, and wanted to take her with them. Claire had declined. She enjoyed being alone when the others went out. Alone, but not lonely. Having time to herself, without the constant feeling of being watched, which she'd lived with for years, was blissful.

Juliet claimed to have found a fountain hall that Claire would love - she said it looked like Disneyland, which conveyed almost nothing to Claire except that Juliet was excited about it. Claire smiled a little. Sage understood her reluctance to walk out the door. He didn't pressure her to go, and she'd seen him tersely gesture for Juliet to stop, when he felt she'd pushed Claire too long.

He seemed to understand without asking that Claire wasn't the least bit claustrophobic or bored. She had absolutely no desire to leave the café - it was her sanctuary.

When she heard the outer door open in the kitchen, though she couldn't see it from where she was by the bar, she assumed it was Francois coming in from the passageway. Until she heard the angry Merith voices.

Claire froze. There were at least two Merith shouting in the kitchen. She could hear someone - was that Athlete's voice? - replying in a low, soothing way, but it didn't seem to be working.

Her glasses automatically began translating.

- the other human?

We will not tolerate disrespect, bruck!

I have orders. Get out of my way!

Claire dodged around to the far side of the bar and ducked underneath in a panic. The overhang would hide her from being seen from above, and she pulled a squat chair up to her face to hide her crouching body. Her hands were shaking so badly that she almost knocked the chair over, rather than pulling it toward her.

She curled into as small a ball as she could, and her eyes closed involuntarily. She should try to follow their words, but she couldn't think. She just wanted to shut out their harsh voices and hands and – and –

Claire rocked back and forth, and a buzzing filled her head.

Back and forth. When someone gently touched Claire's shoulder, she could tell it was a human hand. They felt different.

"Claire?"

"Is she alright?"

"Why is she making that noise?"

Claire realized a humming was coming out of her mouth and she abruptly swallowed, cutting off the sound. Her eyes finally opened, and she saw Sage kneeling in front of her. Behind him, she could see the curious faces of Francois and the others, peering over his shoulder.

"Who were those Merith? Are they gone?" Claire asked.

"They're gone," Francois said apologetically. "It was a misunderstanding. No danger."