Chapter Nine

It had been a week since their fight, and Spencer and Aria still hadn't made up. Which meant Emily and Hanna hadn't spoken to Aria either. Which made rehearsals even more awkward. The school play was The Bad Seed and all four of the girls were participating. Hanna was the victim's mother, Aria was the stage manager, Emily was the props master, and Spencer was the little girl. Opening Night was in two days and the girls couldn't wait for it to be over.
    Hanna didn't understand how Aria could date her teacher, but not understand Spencer dating Toby. But that didn't matter, she thought they were a cute couple.
      On the night of the play, things were not easy. The lighting coordinator quit and Emily had to take his place. The microphones failed the first two tests and half of Mona's costume went missing. Aria was freaking out. After around eight pep talks from Ezra, she managed to settle down. She peeked through the red curtain to get a view of who was in the audience.
     No, she thought. To her disappointment, Toby sat next to Caleb, holding a huge bouquet of blood red roses. She took a deep breath and sighed as she took a step back from the curtain. "Places!" she chimed.
     The play ran smoothly. Maybe even the best they'd ever done. No missed cues, forgotten lines, or sabotaged sets. Aria was relieved.
     The cast and crew burst into the lobby to greet their friends and families. There must have been at least seven-hundred people in that room, but Aria couldn't help but stare at Spencer and her new 'boy-toy,' as Hanna would say.
     The tall brunette leaped into his strong arms.  "You came!" She giggled as he picked her up and spun her around.
    "Of course I came, I wouldn't dream of missing it."  He kissed her.  A soft, sweet kiss.  Aria didn't cringe.  They were happy, they were cute.
      "Well, that makes one," Spencer sighed.
      "I can't believe they just bailed on you!"
     "It's fine."
     "No, Spence.  It's not fine.  You're their daughter."  Toby's tone was now protective.   He wrapped his arms around her.  "Do you want a ride home, or do you want to come over for dinner?  My step-mom would love to cook us a meal."
     "That sounds nice, let me grab my jacket first," and with that she pecked his cheek and darted off to the dressing room.
     "I'm sorry," a voice whispered.  "Toby's a great guy."