Chapter Twelve

"God, I'm glad to see you."  When he doesn't look at her she steps aside so that he can come in, avoiding eye contact.
     "You've got a cop car across from your house."  He states, hiding worries.  Why are there cops across the street?
      "Where? I didn't see it," she argues quietly, hoping he is wrong.
      "Detectives."  She raises a brow.  "Trust me, I know every Stock Sedan in town and they used to rotate in front of my house."  She has a panicked look on her face, causing him to worry more.  She starts to walk away, but he grabs hold of her arm.  "What's going on?" He asks, but he's pretty sure he knows the answer.                                                                                             She takes a deep breath.  "The  police searched my house."  Another deep breath.  "They took things from my room.  I'm a person of interest."                                                                "What do they think you did?"                                                               Her voice is shaky.  "I think they think that..." She swallows her tears and shakes her head.  "They think that I-"     
"They think you hurt Alison?" He's confused.  She nods.  "That's crazy," he comforts.  She laughs, happy that someone is on her side.
      "Maybe you should keep away from me."
      This time he laughs.  "People cross the street when they see me and they think you're trying to frame your brother in law, who else are we going to talk to?" He smiled. "Do you have coffee made?" 
     She answers, hoping this means he will stay longer.   "Always."
       "Paper cups?"
       "Why paper cups?"
       "You're going to go out there and give them coffee."
Her heart sunk. "Why?"
"So that they know you know that they're out there, and you're not afraid of them."
"But I am afraid of them."
"They don't know that."
She bites her lip. "Will you stay awhile?"
He smiles, "Always."