Chapter Ten

She hopped onto the motorcycle, buckled her helmet, and wrapped her arms around Toby's waist. The ride was mostly smooth. At one point, her light weight caused her to bounce up and down, so she held on to him tighter.
When they arrived at his house, Toby helped her off the bike and took off her helmet. He started to walk towards his house, but paused when he realized that she hadn't moved.
"Toby, what if your parents don't like me. I mean, I am a Hastings, and we aren't very likable people. Also, what about the Jenna thing, if they blame me-"
"They'll love you, Spence. They won't care what your last name is. They know the Jenna Thing wasn't your fault. And, if they don't like you, I won't care."
"What will Jenna do when she finds out there's going to be another seat at the dinner table?"
"Jenna's not here, she's in New York, visiting a friend from blind school." He grabbed her hand and opened the door.
"Dad? Tiff?" Toby called.
An average-height brunette woman came down the hallway. "Toby! How was the play? I see you brought a guest."
"The play was amazing. Tiff, this is Spencer. Spencer, this is Tiffany, my stepmom."
"It's so nice to meet you Mrs. Cavanaugh."
"Likewise, and please call me Tiffany." She said with a warm smile. "I'm guessing by the stage makeup that you were in the play?"
"Yes, I was." Spencer answered.
"Spencer was the lead, and she was wonderful."
"I bet your parents were so proud," Tiffany commented.
Spencer's eyes fell and Toby frowned. "Spencer's parents didn't come."
"Oh," Tiffany whispered. "I'm sorry." Her mind filled with sympathy.
"It's fine," Spencer added. "Nothing I'm not used to."
"Well, you two must have had a long night, are you hungry?"
"Yes!" Toby exclaimed. Spencer and Tiffany laughed.
"Okay, I made King salmon cheeks, garlic bread and salad."
"That sounds delicious!" Spencer complimented.
"Thank you. Toby, why don't you take Spencer to the dining room."
Toby held open the dining room door. "After you, m'lady." Spencer giggled.
"CHRISTOPHER! Your son is down here, with a girl!" They heard Tiffany yell from the kitchen. Toby blushed.