Chapter Thirteen

They sit by the fire. He stuck around, as promised. She was grateful for that. Her parents were out, Melissa was at a doctors appointment, and Spencer really didn't want to be alone.

They held mugs, not paper cups.  Coffee.  It was a bit too strong for his taste, but she loved it and he was willing to compromise, and he didn't want to upset her. 

They sit there in silence.  Staring at the fire, watching it burn.

"What's it like to run away?" Her question startles him, but her voice is soft. 

"Haven't you ever run away?" He asks, staring into her eyes.

"Once, I think I was seven." She tenses up. "My sister and I got into a fight. It was over something stupid, I can't even remember it now." She pauses. "Anyways, my parents took Melissa's side. So I made myself a tuna salad sandwich and walked out the door." She laughs as she looks back.

"Where did you go?" His voice containing traces of worry.

Spencer turns to him, slightly embarrassed. "The movies, I think it was something animated. There was a princess and everyone was singing." She sighs. "And then I got lonely, So I ate my tuna salad sandwich and went home."

"Were your parents worried?"

"They hadn't even realized I was gone."  Her smile quickly fades away and she stares down at her hands.

He speaks up softly, "If you ever get the urge to runaway again, call me?"

Spencer picks up her head and nods.  He takes her hand in his and rests them on her thigh.

She takes a deep breath.  Maybe, just maybe, things were going to be just fine, One day.