Chapter Three: Life as an Outcast

Kei wiped the sweat from his brow as he swung again with his opposite hand. He was on his 20th broad sword of the month. He and Hywen were racing to see who could complete the most broadswords in a month. Kei had finished twenty and Hywen had just finished his twenty second. He was two above Kei, but he had a lot more experience, so Kei was quite proud to be so close in numbers. Glancing down at the swords, he had to admit that while he was close in numbers, the quality of each sword contained huge differences. Although they were both eighteen in age, Hywen had been an apprentice to his father for many years before. Snapping out of his thoughts, he grunted, going back to his current project.

            This family had taken in Kei when his own brother had stabbed him in the back. Leaving him to rot but not die. Hywen had been the first one that got through to Kei when he was alive only in body, his mind had shut down. Hywen had shown Kei the joy of life, not explaining, but showing Kei that he did not need to dwell on the past nor look to the future. Hywen always told him to live in the present and just to enjoy himself. Being the same age as Kei helped the bonding; the past four years had been the years full of teenage drama and fun, where their bond had really been put to the test. You can’t come any closer to being brothers.

            Kei came out of his memories when there was a clash and some yelling over at where Hywen was taking a break. Kei hurried over, finding a bulky man standing over Hywen who was rubbing his head. While Hywen was much more muscular than Kei, he lacked some of his authority, and was almost useless when it came to a fight. He was much too kind hearted, unlike Kei. The man spotted Kei and grinned, giving Hywen one last kick. Hywen cringed in pain, coughing up some blood.

            Kei now stood there, his expression cold. “You,” the man shouted, “I demand to have a sword made! Free! Of the best quality!” The man gave a loud laugh that was not mighty at all. Just somewhat annoying.

            “Come with me, sir.” Kei beckoned the man to follow him. “Oh, and bring your sword.”

            The man shrugged and swung an axe over his shoulder. “I don’t use swords.” Kei looked at the man, pitying him for all of his stupidity. Kei chuckled and walked out of the forge, checking over his shoulder to make sure that the man was following, and he was.

            Before he left he caught a glimpse of Hywen’s grin, and had known immediately that Hywen had picked the fight because he knew that Kei would enjoy the excitement. He had known that Kei was getting bored, and Kei always beat up the traveling guards who thought themselves so mighty.

            Four years ago his brother, Ghunyan, had plotted to kill the King and banish Kei. Both of which he had succeeded. He had sent Kei to a remote land that he had learned was called Yemake. Yemake was many leagues from all the other lands, sandwiched by the unknown lands and the neutral lands, which were roamed by thieves and wild, untamable animals.

            The man once again interrupted Kei’s thoughts with his insistent bickering. “Hey, boy. Where the Abyss we going?” Not waiting for Kei to answer he continued. “The country is full of idiots like that boy back there. Unlike the lady that I’m guarding, Lady Xavier.” The man spoke his position and the name of his lady with a tone of voice that hinted had narcism and hidden love for his patron. Kei chuckled at the man’s stupidity once again. “Where are we going?” he asked again.

            Kei laughed out loud this time, they had just come out of the alley and walked out into the middle of this town, where around two hundred people where just hanging out or shopping. “I’m just going to show you what happens when you pick on my family.” Kei lowered his hand to his rapier, which was resting on his hip. He felt the man tense up behind him, but he kept following Kei.

            Once they hit the middle of the town square, Kei swirled around. Making sure that his blacksmith’s cloak whipped around and his shoulder length hair did a cool swish.

            “You better have a good explanation for this, boy," the man growled, slowly lifting his axe from his shoulder. Kei unsheathed his rapier and held it out, pointing the tip at the guard.

            “What’s your name, Guard of Lady Xavier?” asked Kei, crouching into a swordsman stance.

            “Brassly,” the man snarled, “That’s all you get.”

            “What land are you from?”

            “I’m not going to tell you that?

            “You so ashamed of your land that you won’t even speak of it?”

            The man snarled in fury, Kei was sure that the man was about to launch when he spoke. “I come from the Kingdom of Fileatte!”  All around Kei there was a giant gasp, and Kei noticed that they had gathered an audience. Just as he had intended. Just as he did every time.

            In these past four years Fileatte had taken over half of Dael and had begun invading the neutral lands. Kei’s eyes widened as he realized that his brother must have sent this man here to kill him. So Ghunyan finally decided to get rid of me, huh?

            Kei sprung at the guard, surprising him with the speed of the attack. Kei quick drew his rapier into an upwards motion, slicing diagonally, cutting the guards chest. The guard staggered backwards and dropped to one knee. He laid his free hand on his shirt, already soaked in blood.

            With surprising swiftness the man launched himself at Kei, swing his axe in a large arc, Kei stopped the axe from slicing off his arm by jabbing at the man’s leg with his rapier. It gave Kei the time to leap to one side, dodging the axe. Kei ran at Brassly changing his stance and attack patterns with mastered finesse. He handled his sword with expert technique, but Brassly parried with equal technique and possibly more experience.

            Kei guessed that they had been fighting for around twenty minutes, and he was exhausted. This brute of a man was actually pretty good, but he had grown old in his years. Ten years ago he would have beaten Kei, but Kei was younger and hence able to continue fighting for a longer amount of time. When Brassly stopped to catch his breath, Kei vaulted into the air swinging his sword down. Brassly raised his sword to parry the attack but at the last moment Kei reached into his cloak and pulled out a dagger, throwing it at Brassly with deadly aim. Brassly immediately raised his axe to block the dagger, and he managed it. But Kei was already inside the area where Brassly’s axe couldn’t harm him without harming Brassly as well, unfortunately in the process his sword had jammed into a rock and broken free from his grip. He jabbed Brassly’s nose and threw a hard punch at his gut, then he round housed Brassly in the rib. Immediately after he knife handed his axe hand, causing Brassly to drop his axe. Then Kei crouched down and swung his feet around knocking Brassly onto his back. Kei reached over and grabbed his sword, pointing it at the man.

            “Who are you?” Brassly whispered, all bravado gone from his voice.

         Kei sliced another line through his chest, leaving a giant X covering his chest. “Maybe you can find that answer. Or maybe you won’t be able to. Just don’t come back.” For effect he kicked the man’s head and stepped on his chest until the man scurried away. He ran away from Kei in shame of defeat mixed with terror, as if Lady Chaos, herself, were chasing his backside.

           Most of those in the crowd that had lost family to Fileatte and were overjoyed at, whom they thought of as one of their own had crushed a Fileattion. They gave Kei pats on the back, hefted him on their shoulders and congratulated him plenty. This is one of those things that I could get used to. Kei thought happily.