Chapter Thirty-Six: An Early War

Cecilia walked into the throne room with Riley a few spaces behind her. The sun light barely breached the window, leaving the room in a dark mood.

                Riley’s father, King Raess, smiled warmly and welcomed her with a hand gesture to take a seat in a cushioned chair facing the throne. His crown lay on a stand a foot from the throne, and he was draped in a beautifully crafted velvet robe.

                “I suspect you are wondering what exactly they meant by Lady of Legend,” he said, rubbing the brook of his nose. Cecilia nodded slowly, eager to know. King Raess grinned wider and motioned for a woman in the back of the room to come forward.

                The woman wore a loose, white scribe robe and kept her eyes facing the floor at all times. When she approached the king, she bent onto one knee and held up a thin journal above her head. Raess took the book and opened it. He glanced at it briefly before handing it to her.

                “The Lady of Legend— wait,” he looked at her closely. “You must keep in mind that this is simply a legend. The chance of you being her is slim to nothing.”

                “I understand. Just tell me what this legend is.” Cecilia took a seat in one of the chairs and subconsciously tapped her rapier’s hilt.  

                King Raess sighed. “She is supposedly the one who will be the mediator between the goddesses and humans. It has been a legend for thousands of years that one day a woman with blue hair will come to our lands and kill a royal guard.” The king shrugs. “It is a somewhat morbid ordeal but that is simply how it came to pass.”

                “So that’s why they thought it was me.” And why shouldn’t they? She matched all the description. “I have a favor to ask of you.”

                “A favor?” Riley butted in, laying a hand on her shoulder. “Sure why not?” His father gave him a strange look and Cecilia fought the urge to shove off his hand. Though it was strangely calming.

                “I would like the assistance in finding a certain man. Knowing the ruthlessness of Fileatte’s Prince Ghunyan, I suspect that he is in danger.” She twirled her hair around her index finger. “I believe that he is the key to our future.”

                “The banished prince of Fileatte,” Riley whispered, marks appearing on his skin which were glowing a deep shade of red.

                Cecilia gaped and stood up abruptly. “How…what?” she stuttered.

                “She told me.” Riley smiled and spread his arms out. “I wanted to tell you earlier, but with the whole lady of legend thing I didn’t get a chance.”

                “Who told you?” Cecilia whispered, leaning in so only he could hear.

                “I am the champion for the Goddess of Peace.”

                “The champion of a goddess?” Cecilia distance herself from him, gripping the hilt. “What is going on here? Is this some kind of joke to you?”

                Riley closed his eyes and the marks brightened even more. Instantly, all aggression fading out of her, as if it was sucked out. Her eyes started blinking as her lids suddenly gained thirty pounds. The world started to spin and a yawn burst from her mouth. Riley helped her to sit down.

                “What’s happening to me, what did you do?” Cecilia mumbled through clenched teeth.

                “I simply activated my gift from the goddess,” Riley answered. “Let me explain to you what I know. Unlike my father,” he motioned to his father who was only slightly surprised. “I have been told that you are the Lady of Legend. Peace contacted me about a woman that would cross my life soon. She told me that that woman would be searching for another champion and that I should help her.”