Chapter Nine: Engulfed by Darkness

Sorry this took so long. It's a major turning point in the story, and a huge turn in Kei's life. I wanted to get all the emotions and details across for all of my awesome readers.

How did she find out! Kei ran harder and harder, trying to get that girl out of his head. How had she known who he was! He barely managed to trick her by acting as a dumb peasant but it was way too close of call. There should have been no way that anyone could have found him! Anyways he was fine with his life now; he didn’t need royals and nobles butting into his life now.

Kei spotted Hywen and Cyreen, noting that they had fallen way behind. Kei felt no guilt at that; he needed to clear his head. So he continued to run, and run and run, until his legs lost all feeling and gave out from underneath him.

He had to recollect himself, but that girl, Cecilia, was so familiar, that she wouldn’t leave his mind. If she actually had known him well, than it would be possible that she would try to reveal his violet eye, which would definitely mark him as the prince, or she would blackmail him about something from the castle concerning Kaya.

Over the years the walls over his emotions had begun to relax and come down, but with this new threat the wall would quickly rebuild itself. Ghunyan could kill off the entire Kingdom of X for all he cared. He was satisfied with his life and wanted to keep it that way. But still… that girl Cecilia!

Kei slowed to a jog, observing his surroundings. Although considering it was pretty much the middle of the night, it was kind of hard to see. He put his hands on his knees and gasped for air. The buildings around him were all too familiar: the same straw roofs, the same wagons, everything was the same. This place was just how he wanted, never changing.

“Kei!” He turned around, in time to spot Hywen and Cyreen rounding the corner of one of the houses.  “Wait up!”

When they caught up, Kei gave them a moment to catch their breath. Hywen leaned against a wall, holding his chest, while Cyreen simply dropped to her knees and gasped for air.

“What the Hell!” Cyreen climbed to feet, face flushed from exertion.

She recovered quickly, he thought grimly.

 “Why did you run like Destructa was chasing you?” She screamed, eyes penetrating his skin like daggers. Kei opened his mouth to respond but Hywen cut him off him.

“Does it really matter Cyreen?” Hywen placed his arm in her shoulder. “Let’s just be happy that we’re not being chased by that noble and whatnot and that she’s not furious at us like higher ups would be.” Cyreen made a face, and Kei guessed that she was weighing out the options of whether or not to let the argument go.

“I agree with Hywen.” Kei looked around to see where he was. “We should be glad that we didn’t get in trouble. Anyways, we should head home. Zale and Maria are gonna be hysterical if we’re not in bed.”

The three continued back to the forge, it took awhile but they managed to get there before the news about the break in had spread. Or so Kei thought since no one was up and about.

Cyreen unlocked the door, and they went inside. Quietly, making sure to not make any noise they walked up the stairs.

Then a lot of things happened at once: Kei spotted to figures sitting in dark, felt Hywen tense up and heard Cyreen scream. She twirled around extremely quickly, knocking both Hywen and Kei down the stairs, and to make worse, she fell with them. Kei didn’t know what the others felt but he knew that it hurt him. He smacked hid his head multiple times on the stairs and smashed multiple other parts of his body against the others.