0.3

|| 11:27 p.m. ||

"please don't make me do this," luke practically begs, his eyes wide as he stares out at the ocean with a dark sky surrounding it, only making it seem more immense than it already is.

"you have to at least try," michael says, removing his shoes and throwing them off to the side, letting his feet get buried into the sand.

luke listens to the sound of the waves crash down onto shore. he always thought the blue water and white sand was beautiful. the way the moon reflected off the water, but he never wanted to go near the water, even as a little kid.

the blonde watches michael as he takes a few steps forward, his feet meeting the water. the idea of the ocean and everything in it terrified luke.

"start out small, I promise it's not as bad as it seems," michael assures, stepping out even deeper into the ocean so it now reached right above his ankles.

luke takes a deep breath, inhaling sharply. the smell of salt water fills his senses as he closes his eyes, imagining that he was elsewhere as he takes small steps forward until he can feel the water on his toes. the feeling makes him jump a bit, but he calls himself down before taking a few steps and internally cringing once his feet touch the water.

"see," luke hears a voice that suddenly sounds close to him, "it's not so bad."

little by little, luke felt if he was facing that fear he has. even if the effort was small so far, he was satisfied with himself for it.

"can we go now?"

"not just yet," michael smiles widely, slipping his shirt off over his head and throwing it over to where his shoes were in the sand. he walks backwards, keeping his eyes on luke's as he continues to get deeper into the water, "come and join me out here!"

"you're crazy if you think I'm going in that far!" luke yells over the wind, trying not to lose michael in the darkness.

"I already know I'm crazy, so come and be crazy with me."

luke hasn't known michael for very long, but in a strange way, he feels like he can trust the boy. it scares him, almost as most as the ocean does, how he can trust someone after knowing them for so little of time.

luke slowly, but surely makes his way towards michael. he isn't as brave as the boy to take his shirt off, feeling slightly insecure about the way his body looked compared to michael's much more toned one.

"I can't believe your making me do this."

"you'll thank me later."

when the water is up to luke's knees, he feels sick. his heart is pounding against his chest. he never thought he would actually do this, but here he is, allowing someone he only just met to talk him into this.

"this is awful," luke whines, his face scrunching up.

"you have to face your fear at some point and you're doing that now," michael jumps up as a wave comes his way, avoiding to let it take him underwater.

"do you have any fears?" luke asks, not daring to walk any further into the water.

michael has to think for a moment before answering, "being alone. and I don't mean the type of alone where I have no one, I mean the type of alone where I'm not capable of finding someone who I can love."

"I think a lot of people fear that."

"yeah," he speaks quietly, not positive if luke even heard him.

it stays quiet for the next few moments. luke gradually makes his way towards shore, the water beginning to make him feel eery.

they stayed awhile longer, just luke watching michael swim around for awhile. he liked nights like this since he rarely got them, but tonight made luke want more of them.