0.8

|| 4:34 a.m. ||

"why can't you tell me what tattoo you got?"

michael rolls his eyes at luke's whiny voice, "I want it to be a surprise."

"I don't like surprises," luke pouts, crossing his arms over his chest. to michael, he looks like a grumpy six year old who's parents just told him no.

"and I don't like when people whine."

luke slouches down in his seat. he couldn't understand why mike was making it such a big deal for luke to see the permanent ink on his skin. in just a few more hours the two are going to part ways and never see each other again, which was not so great to think about. luke felt as if he had known michael much longer than just over the coarse of this night. he wondered if michael even thought of the two as friends by now, or if he was just considering this a favor for a stranger he picked up off the side of the road.

"do you think there are any convenience stores open? I have to use to the bathroom," luke decides to change the subject after realizing michael was not going to cave in anytime soon.

michael nods, "I'm sure there's something near by."

and michael was right. there was a small 24 hour store three miles away. luke nearly jumps out of the car once it's parked from having to use the bathroom so urgently.

once luke was done, he went to search for michael who was nowhere to be found. after searching for what felt forever, he finally finds the boy in the candy aisle.

"got a sweet tooth?"

michael slightly jumps when hearing luke come up behind him, "holy shit, I think you gave me a heart attack."

"you seem fine to me," luke chuckles, his eyes roaming over all the candy on the shelves.

"what kind of candy do you like?" michael asks.

luke shrugs, to many different varieties going through his mind to pick just one, "I guess anything, really."

"here," michael grabs a pack of starburst off the shelf, "put these in your pocket."

"what? why?"

"just do it, trust me," mike reassures, taking his own candy and shoving it into his pockets. his eyes scan around the aisle they were in before putting his hand on luke's back and escorting him to the front of the store where the exit is.

"michael, i am not stealing," luke whisper-yells, stopping in his tracks which only makes michael roll his eyes.

"it's just candy, it's no big deal," michael tries to persuade him.

"i don't care if it's just candy. give it to me and i'll go pay for it," luke insist. he wasn't about to get in trouble for stealing candy; something that he could easily pay for.

"live a little," and with that, michael makes his way to the exit and leaves the store with no problem. luke opens his mouth to say something, but quickly stops himself, not wanting to make a scene.

like can feel his heart rate pick up. his hands become clammy. he has never stolen a single thing in his entire life and now some guy he just met a few hours ago was going to talk him into doing it.

without anymore though, he left the store with the candy in his pockets.

+ + +

check out my new book 'damaged' :-)