SEVEN: President for a Reason

"It is to be regretted that the rich and powerful too often bend the acts of the enemy to their own selfish purposes." - Andrew Jackson

_______________

S E V E N : President for a Reason
H A R R Y

        Eighteen years ago. . .

        The brimstone mansion landscaped in the center of one hundred acres of Massachusetts' land. An ascending staircase of white brick was built to lead the guests to the arched door framing, and front porch. A single, miniature chandelier hung in front, but with the bit of light funneling through the layers of charcoal clouds filled with snow, there was no need for the illumination. The girl's gloves clasped together, rubbing furiously to transform kinetic energy into thermal heat. Her eyes had directed themselves to view her boyfriend rustle a few snowflakes that had gathered in his brown curls. A smile spread from freckled ear to ear, observing his hands dig into his jeans' pocket.

        "Ah, here it is," The boyfriend exclaimed as the metal key was pulled from his jeans. "Now, we can head inside." Personally, he was excited to introduce his first, honest girlfriend after he has figured out that sleeping around was not his ultimate goal in life. During his high school years, he found Sophia, and he's thankful that she actually favored him in return. He understood that his father, Xavier, was scorned with a cold-hearted expression, but surely, Sophia would warm him with her awkward behaviors, and stunning personality.

        The key had worked into the gears, functioning to allow the hinges of the door to widen. The Christmas decorations were all over the massive home with the large tree, dazzled with lights and bulbs, stood in the middle of the foyer. It glistened in Sophia's eyes, and she could not experience a better way to see the perfect tree. "Your house is beautiful with all these decorations," The girlfriend murmured, the tip of her now bare fingers pushing the hood off her full head of hair. Her ears defrosted from their chilled exterior, overhearing the emanation of two voices that she did not hear before. She could not register them, and immediately her body swiftly turned to view her boyfriend for assistance.

        "Don't be nervous, Sophia. I'm sure they will love you, and if they don't, it does not matter," The boy's algid palms glued to her cheeks as he attempted to force calamity into her head. "I love you, and that's all that matters, Soph."

        "The lovely couple is here," The girl detached his hands from his touch, flattening the material of her crimson dress that fell off the edge of her knee. She was scared out of her mind to wear something shorter, even if her boyfriend told her otherwise. There was a middle aged woman, delicately dressed in beautiful attire that consisted of the finest silks that the eyes could predict, waltzing graciously into the foyer where the couple did not move from. Her green diamonds for eyes matched the girl's boyfriend and she has seen where the trait was taken from. "Hello, my name is Anne. You must be Sophia, yes?"

        "Anne, is my son here yet? I'm tired of waiting for him," A low, gravely voice has broken the gentleness of the room as the heels of his shoes could be heard stomping like a child. In came a man, six-feet tall with broad shoulders much like the boy's. The man's eyes were darkened, hair curled but in a different style, and telling by the grease, it was sculpted by a perfectionist. "Oh, you are here," He breathed as he entered, adjusting the vermilion colored tie that engulfed around his neck.

        "Darling, this is Sophia. The girl he was talking about last night, remember?" Anne tried to remind him of the boyfriend's attempts to gain his parents' attention because of their socialite statues they must obtain. "Isn't she such a beautiful girl?"