FORTY: Ride to Rings

"We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone." - Ronald Reagan

___________________

FORTY: Ride to Rings

Detached from the abhorrent wildlife of Washington, she could feel the breeze whip through her scalp. The toxic, polluted air of the city was clearing, and the summer sky was baby blue. The secret service had advised that all windows remain up to hide the president's identity, but she missed her home. The place where she grew up.

Ophelia allowed a crack of the air to leak from the window, providing Theodore to feel the wind against his puffy, chubby cheeks. His giggles proved that he was enjoying himself; he attempted to pat his air as if he could somehow touch the intangible element. She was amused by his innocent behavior, rewarding him with a sweet kiss to the skin of his palm.

        Her eyes wandered to her unavailable boyfriend, flooding with paperwork and manila folders. He committed to finalizing laws, and other businesses before he could fully relax at Angela's house for the next twenty four hours. He had a rather important question on his mind, and his focus needed to be there one hundred percent.

        "Baby, are you almost finished? We are nearly there," Ophelia whined like a child, reaching to grope his knee. "Come on, Angela hated when my father did work at home. She won't spare you."

        "I'm looking over these documents, and I'll be done. I promise," Harry muttered under a slow release of breath, flipping through the stapled packets. "Victor, how far away are we?"

        "Ten minutes, sir." The driver replied, eyes keen on the road.

        "Ten minutes? I don't have time to read everything that fast."

       "Looks like you have to close everything," Ophelia muttered as her hands closed every folder and packet he had, tossing it inside of the bag he chose to carry. He attempted to protest, but there wasn't much time to before she had cleaned up his workspace. "And spend time with your son, and charming girlfriend for the next twenty four hours. How does that sound?"

        "And I don't have a choice?" He asked, resting to the cushioned seat.

        "Nope," She popped the 'p' sound loudly, "You don't."

        "Then, I would love to spend the next twenty four hours without anyー" His words were hushed by her finger, silencing him with her hushing.

        "You could of ended it at 'I would love to'. That is all, Harry."

        The drive progressed through the ten scheduled minutes, while the couple exchanged conversation and cooing words to their infant. Harry was attempting to do two things at once: talk with his girlfriend and think of a way to ask a simple a four word question. His mind filtered back and forth, until the presidential vehicle cruised into Angela's new gated home. Here goes nothing, he thought, ask her when she's alone.

        The substantial family home, covered in vines and greenery, stretched as long as two or three limousines. It was two stories high with an extension on either side, the white window frames peeking out through the leaves. The stone walkway led to the series of bushes that mirror on both sides of the double doored entrance. The secret service men filed to portal the small slither of an acre, then advised the president and his family to head inside.