Chapter 12

Chapter 12

"I reckon that we should have a beach bum day." Trey stated, after breakfast was over, and his friends had dragged themselves from the depths of their bedding.

"Beach bum day?" Laura laughed.

"Sure, let's hang out at the beach all day." He encouraged.

"What time are your parents expected back?" Judy intervened.

"Around lunchtime." Trey answered.

"Make sure that you have all your things before heading to the beach, and don't forget the sunscreen." Judy ordered.

"Yes, Mum, we'll be fine." Aurora told her firmly.

"I know, honey." Judy backed up.

"We can drop our things home, and then head to the beach!" Trey enthused. "Thanks for having us, Mrs Matthews." He called out, before Judy left the room.

"Yeah, thanks." Laura, Mick and Nathan cried out happily.

"It's a pleasure. You're welcome back anytime." Judy grinned, as she carried dishes to the sink.

"Thank you." They all chorused together.

Aurora went upstairs to pack her beach gear excitedly. A day on the beach with her friends sounded great. She had never thought, even a week ago that this could even be a possibility. It was funny how quickly everything changed.

She sat in Trey's car with her beach bag at her feet, and her mum waving at them from the front door. Aurora returned her wave, as they drove off, feeling thrilled for another day to begin.

"Are you still trying to convince me to come on your beach bum tour?" Aurora asked, turning in her seat to face him.

"Whatever gave you that idea?" he asked with wide, innocent eyes.

"Probably because you want to be a beach bum today." She replied dryly.

"It's never too early to enjoy the wonders of being a beach bum. Let me grab my surfboard and I'll prove it to you." He insisted with gleaming green eyes, as he stopped outside of his house.

"Alright." She answered with a laugh.

Trey tossed his bag in his room, while Aurora waited in the silent lounge room. She admitted that his house did have rather a show house feel, as Trey had suggested, most especially when the space was empty. She realised that there were no family photos that Aurora had in nearly every room of her house. There was nothing here that suggested anything about the people who lived here.

"Okay, let's get this beach bum day started."

Trey's voice echoed, as he strode down the stairs towards her. In only board shorts, with his surfboard under one arm, he stole her breath.

"We should meet up with Laura and the noise boys." She said to distract herself from staring at him.

"Yeah, they'll be over once they're ready. I know Laura has her date to go on, so she might not come with us," Trey shrugged, as the doorbell rang. "That'll be them." He opened the front door and the triplets streamed in sounding as if they were in the middle of an argument.

"Just go and spend the day on the beach. Let me go on my date already." Laura tossed her hands into the air.

"Not happening. You either let us meet this dude, or we intend to follow you around all day." Nathan crossed his arms and looked smugly at his sister.