tag, autism awareness at all

i know nothing of autism and have never had any frame of reference for it. i thought not to do the tag, but decided to have a look around because i know about five acquaintances and a few good friends on wattpad who are directly affected by autism in their life. these quotes i found opened up a world of awareness, in the true sense, for me. i hope they do for you too. the media is very interesting, listing celebrities with autism (i'm a cynic when it comes to media and not sure of the truth of this). it is autism awareness month and i will tag a few people to post anything at all on the subject. should you want to participate, please tag your piece #autismawareness when you publish it.

i have two young children with autism. what could they have ever done to deserve that? what kind of god allowsthe innocent to suffer? it's a mystery. yet, still i believ in god.

-fred melamed

through the blur, i wondered if i was alone or if other parents felt the same way i did - that everything involving our children was painful in some way. the emotions, whether they were joy, sorrow, love or pride, were so deep and sharp that in the end they left you raw, exposed and yes, in pain. the human heart was not designed to beat outside the human body and yet, each child represented just that - a parent's heart bared, beating forever outside its chest.

-debra ginsberg

on the other hand, i think cats have asperger's. like me, they're very smart. and like me, sometimes they simply need to be left alone.

-jodi picoult - house rules

autists are the ultimate square pegs, and the problem with pounding a square peg into a round hole is not that the hammering is hard work. it's that you're destroying the peg.

-paul collins

you know, everybody's ignorant, just on different subjects.

-will rogers

i know of nobody who is purely autistic, or purely neurotypical. even god has some autistic moments, which is why the planets spin.

-jerry newport - your life is not a label

if they can't learn the way we teach, we teach the way they learn.

-o. ivar lovaas

i like it that order exists somewhere even if it shatters near me.

-elizabeth moon - the speed of dark

think of it: a disability is usually defined in terms of what is missing. ... but autism ... is as much about what is abundant as what is missing, an over-expression of the very traits that make our species unique.

-paul collins. - not even wrong: adventures in autism

autism is part of my child, it's not everything he is. my child is so much more than a diagnosis.

-s.l. coelho. - the world according to august-one good friend

go to the edge of the cliff and jump off. build your wings on the way down.-ray bradbury