Chapter 31

Tobias POV

Three weeks later.

    I clock out of my job and start packing up my things to head home, I decided to stay a little later tonight just to catch up on all the work I missed. I sigh as I pick up my briefcase, I probably know what I'll find out home. Tris sitting outside looking at the view, probably thinking about her life. That's all she's been doing lately, just outside looking at the city. Not once has she went to go visit her friends or Caleb, I don't even think she's left the house. At first she'll be quiet but then she snaps out of her trance and we hang out as usual.

    When she snaps out of it she's like her old self, but during those weird trances it's like she's just zoned out. I wish I could help her, I just don't know what's wrong. Right as I'm walking out the door I decided to go back to see if Johanna is still here. If anyone I could count on her for an answer. I knock on her office door and peek my head in, she's at her desk looking over some paperwork. She looks up at me and smiles, "Of course Tobias, what can I do for you today?" I sit down in the chairs in front of her and let out a sigh, "It's Tris..." She sits up straighter and clears her throat, "Ah yes, that probably would be something big on your mind. How is it having her back?"

    "It's amazing but at the same time it's stressful. To have her back is a miracle, I thought I lost her. When she came back it felt like everything was complete again, that everything was normal again. That's when all the pain set in, the pain of her leaving, the pain of the past years, and the pain of her knowing the truth but not letting us know. Then finding out she was starting to see a guy over at the Bureau, that hurt a lot more than I thought possible. I'm over here suffering and going crazy but over there she was having fun and starting to move on. I mean yeah she kept tabs on me so she can be at peace but she probably saw me suffering and did nothing to stop it. Now she's back and hasn't done anything, she stays at home and doesn't go out to see anyone. It's like she's in a trance and when I get home she snaps out of it but you can still tell she's not fully happy."

    I sigh as I realize how much I said, I clear my throat "Sorry, I didn't mean to ramble on. It feels like I talked too much about it." She shakes her head and takes my hand, "Tobias it probably is really hard, and even though it's a miracle you are angry. You do have a right to be angry, I can't deny you that. Though it seems like your feelings are very one sided, which again is normal since all of this is so fresh. I was talking to Amar and he told me Tris only came to visit you, and was always trying to get in contact with you. So it wasn't like she was running away from us, she did always try. I'm not saying your feelings aren't justified for that, but please remember she didn't give up."

    I nod because that's all I can do. I know she's right, but it all still hurts. She continues, "Maybe she can't go anywhere because all of this is new to her and she's overwhelmed, or maybe it's too much for her to be here in Chicago. You know how hard this is for you, think about how hard it is for her. Yes she knew everything but this is the first time in two years she had to be back here permanently. It could be so much for her. Tobias, you know I look at you like you're my son and all I want is you to be happy. I would want you and Tris to go to counseling, alone and together. Talking it out and having someone give you ways to deal with it when both of you are flustered."

    I stand up, "That sounds like a good idea, thank you Johanna. You have no idea how much you have helped me, everything has been going so fast this past week and a half." She gets up and comes over to hug me, "If you ever need anything Tobias, you know where to find me." I smile and start leaving when she calls after me, "And if Tris ever needs to talk, I'll be here. Maybe I could help her find a job, so she has something to do. Just think about it." I nod again, "Thank you Johanna, means a lot." I leave and start my journey home.

4.14.16