Part 3

Chapter 3

HARRY'S POV

"But remember, we have OWLs this year -"

Hermione's tangeant about our 5th year exams were cut short. I looked to the door as I heard it slide open. A girl stood there, our age, with black hair, black eyes, and pale skin. Her eyebrows were furrowed in an expression of confusion. Her lips twisted into a scowl. She didn't look unfriendly, just cautious.

"Er, Hello," she said sheepishly. "I couldn't find another seat. Is it okay if I sit here?"

"Sure," Ron said immediately.

She smiled gratefully, and only hesitated before she took a seat across from me. "Sorry, it's just ..." The girl trailed off, clearly very shy.

"Are you new here?" Hermione asked, at the first attempt of talking to her. "I haven't seen you around."

She scowled. "Yeah, that's me. The new-ass girl at the new-ass school." Lightening her expression she said, "I'm Amelia Wolfe by the way. Or just Amy. Sorry. It's the nerves."

Ron stuck out his hand. "Ron Weasley. It's great to meet you." Amy shook his hand tentatively.

"I'm Hermione Granger," Hermione said. Amy shook her hand as well. I could have sworn I saw a trace of disdain in Amy's eyes, but it was gone before I could blink.

"I'm -" I began to say.

"You're Harry Potter," Amy interrupted. "Who doesn't know you?"

"Er- that's right," I said.

She chuckled. "Sorry, it's just - I've heard of you before, you know? It must get annoying, right?"

I shrugged. "It does get a little old."

We continued to chat. Amy was interesting - nice enough. Definitely not unfriendly, but she had a guarded air about her. But I suppose that's expected of any new student. I remembered how nervous I was the first time I entered the wizarding world.

"So, why haven't you been in Hogwarts yet, Amy?" Ron asked.

Amy laughed. "My parents homeschooled me. My father works abroad and we had been staying in France when it came time for me to enter school." She rolled her eyes. "My parents didn't want me going to Beauxbatons, anyway. And look at me! Can you honestly see this -" She gestured to herself. "- walking around with those girls? They're all gorgeous." Amy snorted. "So they homeschooled me. My mom used to be a teacher anyway, so it wasn't a big deal."

The three of us listened intently to her story. Amy was, to put it simply, cool. I could see her as a Gryffindor, as a friend. As I glanced again at her, I noticed that she seemed to be thinking hard about something, as if her mind was somewhere else while her words were here. I don't know what, but something. There was definitely something strange about her.

But isn't there something strange about everyone? I thought. I dismissed her strangeness and went back to having a conversation with her.

"We're here!" Hermione said. "Welcome to Hogwarts, Amy."

DRACO'S POV

I sat in the compartment with my friends. I wondered how Amy was doing. Hopefully well. I knew Amy, and I knew her tendency for sarcasm and cruelty. I also knew Potter and how fricking annoying he and his friends were. Amy and annoying people typically don't go togehter.

I looked outside the window. We had arrived at Hogwarts. I was sure to be the last one out so I could possibly catch Amy before we got into the Great Hall for the feast. Lucky for me, I did.