Part 12

Chapter 12

AMY'S POV

I walked off the train with Draco for the winter holidays. We arrived at Kings Cross station and looked around for Lucius. It took a few moments but it was rather easy to spot them. I saw him standing with Narcissa. I strutted over to them with Draco at my heels.

I had been wondering what it would be like to see my father again. I was very curious. How would he react to my information? I had to hide one simple fact from him - and that was the fact that I had become far too close to Potter. It shouldn't be too hard. I have Occlumency skills to almost match his Legilimency. I was taught by him, anyway. I was good at lying. It would be easy.

I hoped.

"How has school been going?" Lucius asked me.

"Fine," I said, not elaborating. It would be worse to have Lucius on my case as well. He would tell everything he knew to my father. Besides, it was harder to hide things from Lucius. He was more sympathetic than my father. He was more of a father than my father. I felt guilty about lying to him.

"That's good," Lucius said. "Your father wants to hear all about it."

"Great," I mumbled. "Perfect."

Even though I was confident in my Occlumency skills, I still had the feeling of nervousness in my stomach. Who knew how much I could hide from him? He could be quite scary at times.

We Disapparated to the Manor. I walked inside with Draco, slightly ahead of his mother and father. I had a scowl on my face and my steps were loud and harsh. I didn't want to talk to Father right now.

"Amelia! Miss Riddle!" Lucius desperately tried to get my unwilling attention. "He's waiting upstairs," he said when I finally turned around.

"Goody for him," I muttered under my breath. I was in the most rotten mood ever.

I jogged up the stairs and stomped down the hallway and into his room. He gestured for me to sit down across from him, so I angrily plopped myself down in the chair facing him. He looked at me. I stared back at him, closing my mind as best as I could.

"Now, Amy, you aren't trying to hide anything from me, are you?" he asked. I knew he didn't need to ask. He could sense that my mind was clouded over.

"Of course not," I said. At least I knew that he couldn't see past my closed mind, thank goodness.

"How are you?" he asked. It definitely looked as if he suspected something. It was difficult to hide everything I could from him. It was actually quite scary.

"Oh, I am just absolutely joyous. Never been better!" I exclaimed, sarcasm spilling from my voice.

A small smile tugged at the corners of my father's mouth. "You seem to be in a bad mood," he said.

"No, I'm not," I said hotly. I was the only one who could stand up to him and live, probably. "I'm completely fine!"

He glared at me. Although I spoke to him without fear, my insides seemed to shrivel up and die. "How is your mission going?" His voice was as calm as ever, which in my opinion was far more terrifying than shouting.

"Perfect," I answered. "I had no issues whatsoever with befriending him or any of his friends. Potter is a weak, stuck up, stupid little boy that you should have no problem killing, Father. He has no special talents and he is extremely arrogant and ignorant of everything that is going on around him."

My father laughed humorlessly. "Good. Just as I thought. Do you think you are ready for the next stage of the task?"

I blinked, then furrowed my eyebrows. I didn't remember my father saying anything about a second stage. "What do you..."

"You will be joining the Order of the Phoenix."

DRACO'S POV

"WHAT DO YOU MEAN THE ORDER OF THE PHOENIX!?!?" I heard from upstairs. Amy was in a pissy mood.

I smirked and waited for her to come back downstairs. I heard a loud slam and stomping footsteps down the stairs, so I knew she was on her way. When she finally arrived, she had the most furious expression on her face.

"What's up now?" I asked.

"I have to join the stupid -" she kicked the wall - "god damn -" she punched the wall - "ORDER OF THE PHOENIX!" She blasted a hole in the wall with her wand.

"Okay, well, you can calm down first, maybe," I suggested.

Amy scowled at me. "I'm just so sick of this mission! I hate Potter! I hate Weasley! I hate the Mudblood! I hate this stupid job!" Amy yelled. "And now I have to go and make friends with all of Potter's grown up friends. They'll suspect me! How am I supposed to do the mission? I know I'll fail. I hate my stupid job!"

"Amy, it'll be okay," I said. "Don't worry. All you have to do is act nice!"

"THAT'S THE PROBLEM!" Amy cried. "I hate having to be nice to everyone! I have to smile, and laugh, and.... UGH! I hate it!"

"Well, you don't have to be nice right now," I said, trying to make a joke.

"I'M NOT BEING NICE!" Amy shouted.

"True," I said, smiling. "But you have to do the mission. I know you can do it. Start with talking to Snape. You know how he's a double agent and whatever. He can probably get you into the Order in no time. And from there, it'll be easy. Think of how much we'll learn from your mission! You'll be really important."

"I'm already important," Amy said. "I'm the most important ever."

"You'll be more important," I said.

"Oh, Draco!" Amy's voice was filled with anguish. "I have to tell someone! Come upstairs with me!" Amy grabbed my hand and pulled me upstairs. Confused, I could only stumble after her.

VOLDEMORT'S POV

"Do you think she will be able to do it?" Nagini asked me.

"Of course she can," I replied in Parseltongue. "She is just like me. She is a wonderful lier. Come to think of it, I think she was hiding something from me earlier. She was too wary."

"She was definitely not in a good mood," Nagini hissed. "There is something bothering her."

"Find out what it is," I ordered.

AMY'S POV

I peeked out into the hallway. I brought my head back in and locked the door. I had to make sure no one was around to see or hear anything. I closed my mind just in case Father was lurking in my head. This was big news. And, especially with this group of people, I had to be careful how much I let slip. One mess up could mean death, no matter who my father is.

"I need to tell you something really important," I said. "But you have to swear not to tell anyone. ANYONE! Ever! Okay?"

"I won't tell," Draco replied.

"Promise?!" I demanded. "If you even look suspicious, my father will start trying to get inside your head. You can't tell anyone or look suspicious at all!"

"I swear!" Draco insisted. "I would never tell anyone anything!"

"Even my father? Even your father?" I asked.

"Of course not, Amy!" Draco exclaimed. He put up his hands as if to prove he wasn't lying to me. "I would never betray you!"

I took a deep breath.

"Here's the truth. As I've been watching Potter," I said, "I've realized that he is actually a good kid. He's really nice." I noticed Draco's exasperated look. "And don't go looking at me like that. He is. I had to lie to my father today. I don't want to keep lying to him. He's stronger than me. He'll find out, eventually. And... lately, while I've been befriending him, I've come to wonder something."

"What?" Draco asked.

I looked around, taking another deep breath. Who knew where Nagini could be lurking.

"If I'm on the right side."