Chapter 31

Nate

I don't know why, but I just couldn't shake it off. The feeling that something's not right.

"What's wrong, Nate?" Jake asked me.

"I don't know. But something doesn't sit right with me. I'm not so sure about this plan." To be honest I didn't like this from the very beginning.

"You're just anxious and worrying too much," he said. "Lia is safe. Besides, Rivera doesn't know where she is," he said.

I nodded.

"Get your head in this, Nate. The team needs you. Lia needs you. So let's get this job done and get back to our lives," he said. And I knew that by lives, he meant, Lia and Charlie.

I smiled at the thought of Lia. My love. My life. My reason for living.

Nothing could ever stop me from coming back to her. She's my home.

Lia

"Hey," I said, as I walked into the living room, and found Denvers sitting, reading a newspaper.

I frowned.

"Where's Fooley and Clark?" I asked.

"They're outside, guarding the back and front of the place," he said. "Do you need anything?" He asked.

I shook my head, then bit my lip. "Well actually, I was wondering if there's anyway I could call Nate and find out what's happening," I said.

He gave me a sympathetic smile. "I wish I could, but I can't. They need to concentrate on the mission. You understand don't you?"

I nodded. "You're right," I agreed. "He'll be back soon enough," I said.

"I understand you're worried, but you've got the best team protecting you. They won't fail," he said.

I nodded. "Thanks."

"Anytime," he said with a smile that didn't quite reach his eyes. But there was something else in the expression on his face.

It was as if he knew something I didn't.

I frowned. Was that my imagination?

Oh, stop it. You're being paranoid.

"Everything okay?" He asked.

I nodded. "Yes, I just remembered something," I lied. "I'm going o head back up to my room and read for a while," I said.

He nodded. "I'll be down here if you need me," he said.

I nodded and headed back upstairs, to my room.

I frowned.

Something doesn't feel right.

Damn it.

Nate said, always trust your gut. And right now my gut is telling me that something's not right.

I creeped back down the stairs, as quietly as I could.

I could hear voices.

I continued down the stairs to hear better.

I froze half way to my step down the stairs when I realized who Denvers was talking to.

"She's upstairs. Reading. The team should be there in an hour. I'm going to take care of Fooley and Clark. Make sure you get here in time. This is the only chance you've got in taking her. Make this moment count, Carlos," he said.

My stomach recoiled. Fear and anger cruised through me.

I closed my eyes and took a few deep breaths.