Backup

Two new additions now stood alongside us in the living room. Each of us, with the exception of Emily, were dressed in our super suits. My dismay was obviously apparent.

Lawrence was a sickening clash of orange and yellow, complete with a cape. Emily stood beside him. Daniel, in his greyish blue spandex, was the only other cape clad super in our ranks. Swift, in ocean blue, stood with his arms crossed and his face unreadable.

The five of us stared at the new initiates.

A deep red suit, caramel skin, and a devilish smile marked Mirage. He claimed to have a power over illusions, and as a friend of Lawrence's, he could be valuable in a fight. He introduced himself as Carson, and I daresay I might recognize him. Back in my first days of villainism, he was one of the ones that interjected in my first set of muggings. I haven't really seen him since.

Next to him stood an older gentleman in a faded red suit. The sleeves ended just past his elbows and his face lacked a mask. He smiled warmly at us. White plus signs were displayed on both his shoulders as well as his chest, indicating his healing abilities. Stitch, they called him, but he introduced himself as Anthony. Anthony was less of a fighter and more of an asset. He would meet up with us after the extraction of my mother.

To be honest, nobody really understood why he had a suit in the first place. Lot's of people knew he could heal, being as he used his abilities to openly aid doctors at the local hospital, and he never really needed to protect his identity. He wasn't a fighter, so he didn't have to worry about murderous villains, psychotic fan clubs, or the media constantly on his heels.

After briefing everyone on our plan of action, we stood in an eerie silence as we mentally prepared for what we were about to do. It was the calm before the storm, so to say.

All at once, Lawrence cleared his throat and leaned behind the couch to pick up a plastic bag. He tossed it to Emily with a proud look upon his face.

She looked at it uncertainly before pulling it open. Her eyes widened as they flitted across the contents.

Reaching a hand inside, she let the bag fall away to reveal a white and grey super suit. She held it up against her and smiled brilliantly. Lawrence reached down and retrieved the bag from the floor, pulling out a matching white mask and tossing it to her.

"Lawrence-" she began to thank him.

"Go put it on," he smiled at his sister.

She held it out to look at it again and bit her lip before disappearing down the hallway.

She returned a few minutes later and stood in her spot, running her hands down her sides as she examined her attire and adjusted the sleeves. Emily looked up at us expectantly.

"Well?" she asked, eyes searching us. We all knew she could hear what we were thinking but we answered aloud anyway.

"You look great."

"Beautiful."

"Like a real Super."

She smiled and traced her fingers along the edges of her mask.

Mirage had his gloved hand perched on his chin as he eyed the suit thoughtfully, "Have you picked a name yet?"

Emily met his gaze and blushed a little, "I, uh... Kind of. It's not very good."

He gave her an encouraging smile, "Well? Let's hear it."

She blushed again and turned her gaze to the floor before muttering, "Whisper."

Mirage smiled and with a wave of his hand, a grey 'W' appeared on her chest.

She reached up to touch it but frowned as her fingers ran over her fabric.

"It's just an illusion," Mirage explained with a smile, "It's not actually there, but that's what it should look like."

Emily smiled at him, "It's perfect," she now looked at Lawrence, "Thank you."

Lawrence only held up his hand to dismiss it. He came and stood in front of his sister, gently adjusting her mask. Placing his hands on her shoulders, he smiled down at her.

"I know you want to help," he began, "But you don't have much to defend yourself with right now. I don't want you getting hurt."

"So I'm not going in?" she asked.

"I want you nearby, but not in the action. We'll have earpieces in, so you can still help us."

"I can set up your phone so you can still see what we're seeing," I interjected.

She let out an exasperated sigh, clearly seeing that arguing would be of no use, "Fine, I'll contribute from a distance."

Lawrence patted her shoulder in approval before stepping aside and facing the rest of us, "Are we ready for this?"

He was met by a series of nods.

"Okay. Let's do this."

^

^

^

^

So we're finally about to go into the big battle! Who's ready for some action? What do you think will happen? Will they succeed in rescuing Heather? Will she even be there? Stay tuned for the next chapter! Happy reading!