Part 9

I watch the sunset as the dogs bound around my lawn, chasing after their favorite old dirty tennis ball. The last of the sun's rays were bright, reaching out to the world to see what they could touch, and caress anything they touch as if they knew that they would not be out for a while. I watch in amazement for a couple of minutes wondering about the little things we took for granted before deciding that it was time to go in. Slowly, I stood up and whistle to the dogs who stop playing when they hear me and come running back towards the house.

It had been almost three weeks since I last saw Leo and I honestly did not know how to feel about that. I had not gotten any calls or texts from him. I did feel relief, however. The whole situation was placed at the back of my mind to think about another day after he dropped me off.

I mean we were engaged  for God's sake!

This situation felt like a fairy tale come to life.

That is not something that happens everyday.

However, now I am questioning why something like this would happen to me. My father was nobody important from what I knew and could remember and I knew that he would not agree to such a thing. But why is this coming out of nowhere? Why do I feel betrayed by my own father? I thought in my mind as I let myself and the dogs into the house quickly heading to my safe haven, my room.

I did want to find love one day by meeting the person and getting to know them, but this? This is arranged. It is not love. This cannot be called love from my own perspective. How can you love a person you had only met for  a couple of days? How could you be sure that he would not turn out to be someone you regretted for the rest of your life? Why do people still arrange marriages when they know that their children should have a say in who they want to spend the rest of their lives with?

And yet, I cannot find any answers to my questions. I know they will be answered one day, but I also know that I may not like the answers. However, the ones pertaining to my father might not be answered.

I throw myself onto my bed face first with arms outstretched and eyes closed, wishing my covers could suck me in so I could forget all of my problems. I groan as the thought crosses my mind that I have yet to do my homework. I open my eyes and stare at the light aqua color of my walls as I contemplate if I should finish my homework on time this time.

What usually ends up happening is that I do most of my homework at school before the class. Procrastination at its finest is what I always tell my friends since it is true.

No matter how much I procrastinate I usually get good grades. Key word is usually. There have been times that I have completely messed up on an assignment and the grade would not be pretty.

I jump when I feel something wet and warm licking my foot, bringing me out of my thoughts. I turn around and see Archie licking my foot!

"Archie!" I scold as I move my ticklish foot away.

He gives me what seems to be a grin before walking towards my desk and plopping himself on his black dog bed that is under there. I shook my head in amusement to his antics. However, I felt grateful that he brought me out of my thoughts. Thinking too much was affecting the way I felt about the world.

Suddenly, I hear my phone ring from somewhere in the room.