Chapter 19 | Rowan

She woke up to silence, and found herself marveling at the lack of noise. She was used to hearing the slamming of doors and stomping from the floor above her.

Nestled in crisp white sheets, she turned to face the sleeping body beside her.

James was was covered from the waist down with the sheet and his rumpled navy shirt was visible above. But he was fully clothed, she knew, because they hadn't gotten that far. He'd just held her as she cried, caught up in a daze of once restrained emotions and hurt.

Still, she felt a thrill go through her that she'd spent the night with him, though part of her wondered what it was he saw in her, and why he wouldn't really open up.

She knew that he'd served in the army, and that he'd moved to Bozeman shortly after returning. That was the extent of what he'd told her about his past.

A part of her sensed that there was shame associated with where he'd come from, and it was something she understood completely. But another part of her wished that he would let her in like she'd done for him.

He let out a deep sigh next to her, beginning to move, and she quickly looked away so that he wouldn't catch her looking at him while he slept.

"Morning." His voice was deep and husky with the remnants of sleep and he was smiling lazily, easily as she met his gaze.

She was struck by how content he looked; how pleased he was to just be with her, and not need to be doing anything. Now she knew what she'd been missing.

"Good morning," she replied, her lips pulling up into a grin. She rolled over, grabbing her phone to check the time. "I have classes soon," she groaned.

A soft chuckle met her ears. "I'll make you breakfast and drive you in. I can't promise anything with my cooking skills, though," he said.

She reached over to run her fingers through his messy hair and he grabbed them, placing a kiss on each one.

Then, with a sigh, they rolled out of bed. He left the room to take a shower as she quickly tried to fix her hair and adjust her t-shirt. Had she known she was going to stay over she would have brought a change of clothes.

Despite his warnings on his cooking skills, breakfast was delicious, and he ducked his head when she told him so. But she didn't miss the smile it brought to his face.

He dropped her off by the front of the university fifteen minutes before her first class, and she kissed him goodbye, blushing as she pulled away. It was still so new to her to be assertive in this way, but he didn't seem to mind in the least.

"Can I pick you up tonight?" he asked. "I'll understand if you're getting tired of me. I could always just drop you off at your apartment, or wherever you need to go."

"No, I don't mind at all," she assured him. And she didn't.

•>•>•>

"Hey!"

Rowan halted, her heart beating wildly in her chest. She spun around with a glare. "Leo! You scared the shit out of me!"

The lanky boy had jumped out from an empty classroom as she passed, and he was looking way too pleased with himself. Emma rolled her eyes as she came up behind them, giving him a playful shove.

"Did you hear about the ceremony?" Emma asked, turning to face her.

"No," she replied. "Here?"

"Yeah. They're awarding the top students in each major with a special achievement certificate. I guess it's a tradition." She shrugged, as if it really didn't matter to her either way. "But anyways, they have a fancy afterparty and whatnot. You should bring that boyfriend you're not telling us about."

Rowan's jaw dropped. "What?"

Leo laughed, pointing at her. "Yes! We've seen you getting into mystery man's car all week!"

They were almost to her first class, and she slowed down. "I don't know," she said. "I'm not sure he would be interested."

Emma pouted. "Come on! At least ask him? I want to meet the guy!"

"Fine!" she said, throwing her hands up in mock surrender. "But I make no promises."

•>•>•>

Of course he said yes. In fact, she was surprised that she'd even questioned whether or not he would want to go with her.

He'd been driving her home when she asked, and it had gotten very quiet. She was starting to think it was a bad idea to ask when he'd shifted the vehicle into park by her apartment and turned to face her in the fading light.

"You would want to go with me?" he'd asked lowly; hesitantly. Like he couldn't believe she was serious.

"Yes," she'd replied, her answer sounding more like a question than anything. And she was questioning herself, because why would he want to go to a ceremony for students at a university he didn't even attend?

But he'd agreed immediately afterwards, giving her a peck on the lips as she stepped out of the car. "I'll see you later."

So that was how she ended up in the dress shop with Emma that weekend. The blonde girl had insisted that they get something nice to wear as it was a suit and tie occasion.

Rowan wondered what he would look like in a suit and tie.

She felt like they'd been searching for hours, though she knew this was a slight exaggeration. But nothing was standing out to her.

That is, until she saw the red material poking out from the rack.

It was the same shade of maroon as his jacket, and she pulled it out, holding it up to Emma.

It was a simple dress- tapered at the waist with a nice skirt that would fall just above the knee. It was perfect.

She let herself imagine for a moment what he would think of it. Would he know why she'd chosen it?

Regardless, the ceremony was several weeks away, so she shoved the dress to the back of her closet and the back of her mind.