How He Lost You

Can you still hear me? Why did you do that?

Remember when you lost yourself? Remember that horrible night when you realized there was no point anymore? 

I hate that I have to remind you of this. 

He slowly whistled those haunting notes, playfully messing with your head as he paced back and forth. Your body shook each time his heavy boots met with the loose gravel. Puffs of white hung in the air in front of your face, the cold breeze biting at the tip of your nose. Shards of rocks and dirt dug into the tough skin on your jean clad knees, your hands were folded behind your back, your head was tilted upward. 

The black night sky was all you could dare to look at, not at the horrible man who had the the dark wood comfortably slung over his shoulder making him look eerily calm, not at the terrified faces of the people you thought couldn't be broken, and especially not at the hardened expression of the boy you loved as he tried to remain collected. You saw it, though, you saw that he was tearing at the seams. 

You squinted your eyes and hoped that the bright lights around you would fade so you could catch a glimpse of the stars. The stars were always able to calm you down, to remind you that the world was bigger than you thought and that there was something more than just surviving through life.

There was a weird feeling in your stomach, and you dreaded the end of something. It wasn't the usual fear you felt when you were thrown into a near death experience, it was different, you just knew something was off about that night. You prayed that you would wake up in your bed at Alexandria, safe and sound, away from the eyes of all those Saviors. 

"Well..." The man they called Negan had a haunting grin on his face that rattled your bones. 

You knew someone was going to die that night, and he was talking his damn sweet time picking out one of the people you loved dearly. 

"I simply cannot decide." 

You held your breath, closing your eyes and bowing your head, just wanting it all to be over. Negan was not only to kill one of your own that night, but he was prepared to steal your very way of life, to sweep it right out from under you like a rug. You just wanted it to be over. 

"I got an idea." He said while smiling at Rick. 

Rick. 

It was so hard to watch him submit to Negan. Rick was shaking like a leaf as he got on his knees, and it broke your heart as well as all your courage. Seeing someone as strong as Rick so scared and lost made you more terrified than you had ever been. 

"Eeny." Negan stuck his barbed wire wrapped baseball bat in Rick's face, taunting him with a cheeky grin. 

"Meeny." He pointed his weapon at Sasha. 

"Miney." Then Carl. 

The blue eyed boy glared up at him, and your heart went out to him for trying to be brave.

"Moe." Then, you. 

You didn't dare look at him. Instead, you held your breath and feared the worst during the long pause after he spoke. You could feel his eyes on you and this was confirmed when he cleared his throat. When you slowly lifted your eyes to meet his, he flashed you a smile and mouthed a thank you before moving on. You watched him walk away, and in doing that you met Carl's gaze. 

"Catch a tiger by his toe." 

You wanted to look away, but you feared you might never see his stare again. Those eyes you fell so hard for were looking at you and you looked in return. One eye was already gone, and you weren't going to lose sight of the other. While his composition said he was still calm in the face of death, his eyes said it all. You just knew he was scared.