Can't Keep It Up

"My thoughts go around me...And they tell me what I gotta do...

But my heart does not want to beat there...Beating love with no sign of truth..."

-Elaiza

Boomer POV

~~~

   I just couldn't believe it.

   Here, I'd thought I'd escaped my worries, only to find the cause of some of them lying right below me. Bubbles just lay there, that little ugly octopus cuddled in her arms. How dare she invade the park when he was trying to get some peace and quiet?

   I scowled down at her. Her perfect golden pigtails bounced when she turned her head. Bubbles had recently grown a long bang over one eye, I noticed. That really wasn't like her. She was the type of person to keep everything visible, modest, etc. Not like that. That hairstyle was for the brooding type, or the divas. She fit neither of those categories.

   ...Don't ask me how I know! It's not like I actually pay attention to her.

   Anyway, I just stood there on the tree branch, staring down at her with forced malice in my eyes. I pushed forth the hatred Butch and Brick assured me I had. I strained myself to hate every last inch of her, my face twisting up into a scowl.

   When she looked up, when I saw those innocent, hurting blue eyes, it almost vanished.

   She didn't give it time to, though. She shot up, flying with an incredible speed up to where I was, coming face-to-face with me. Her face, which I'd expected to be full of anger, had a sorrowful, exhausted look upon it. I almost stopped acting aggressive, almost asked what was wrong.

   Almost.

   "Can you just go away, please? I don't feel like fighting ever, but today, it's just something I really don't want to do."

   I studied her face with a confused expression. A Puff turning down a fight with a Ruff? It just wasn't something easily comprehended. "Well, I'm not exactly supposed to be the listening type, but you're really confusing me, so I'll bite. What happened with you?" I queried.

   People were starting to gather around, wanting to see the show unfold.

   She sighed heavily. "It's not something easily talked about," she said before giving me a brief scowl. "Especially not to my sworn enemy."

   I let out a groan, rubbing my temple. "Look, if you don't want to fight, and you don't want to talk, what am I supposed to do? Kill you while you don't fight back? That's no fun. And besides, I wanna know what's causing a Powerpuff to be so sad."

   At the word 'kill', she widened her eyes, but then she realized I wasn't actually going to do that. Not now, anyways. "I'm...not sad, exactly. Just...stressed about some things."

   I nodded without meaning to. I was stressed too; I found my need to fight Bubbles evaporating. I struggled to hold onto it, but it kept waning. I was actually agreeing with a Puff about something. I understood Bubbles a little better just by that one statement. That's why she wasn't acting all giggly and whatnot.

   She took my nod into account. "You...you know what I'm talking about?"

   My mouth tightened around the edges. I knew what she was talking about, but I didn't know if my brothers would approve of letting Bubbles know that I was weak somehow.

   ...You know what? Heck with my brothers. I love them, but it's going a bit too far to let them tell me what I feel. The last bit of my hatred dissolved into nothingness, and I did nothing to revive it. It was fake, anyway. Just something they'd put into my head for me.