Preparations

"Change is hard at first, messy in the middle, and gorgeous at the end."

-Robin Sharma

Bubbles POV

~~~

"Whaddya mean, 'you got a date'?" Buttercup asked. We were sitting in the living room after school. It was Monday- the day after Boomer had agreed to go to the dance. Blossom quirked a brow at our tomboyish sister. She turned to me and politely spoke.

"That's wonderful, Bubs. Who is it?"

I was about to tell them when I remembered that no one could know Boomer and I were friends. Plus, even though we were going as friends, Blossom would most certainly get...other ideas. Even Him runs away in terror when Blossom starts on the subject of romance.

Heck, even Professor hides in his room.

I quickly came up with an answer. "It's Brendan. You know, that blonde sophomore? He said he was lonely, and so we agreed to go as friends."

Buttercup leaned back in her seat. "Whatever you want, I guess. I'd pick someone a little better-looking, but it's your date."

I sighed inwardly from relief. They wouldn't suspect a thing-not yet, anyway.

The soccer star gazed back up at me again, studying my face. I'd probably made some face out of relief, but I doubted she'd make anything of it. And I was right, too. She went back to tossing a small baseball and being her boyish self.

"So Bubs, how long do you think Mitch and Buttercup will last?" Blossom broke the awkward silence.

Here we go again.

Boomer POV

~~~

I stared into my cup. I'd finished the smoothie a long time ago, but this was where Bubbles had let me know the game plan: I was to put all my bangs over my left eye, and cover up my freckles with a little tube of concealer that she'd left me with. That would throw off everyone's scent.

I didn't want to get up because of what she'd looked like right before she'd left. Happy, genuinely joyful. Having a good time with me. I wanted to stare at that place forever, that square foot of concrete that she'd stood on before rocketing off into the sky.

I sighed and dug into my pocket. A wad of cash comes out, clenched in my hand- money that I've stolen.

No. That my family made me steal.

Oh well. I have it now. May as well use it to make the superhero of Townsville happy, right? I couldn't turn up in anything shabby; it would make her embarrassed. I wanted to make her the happiest girl there, after all she'd done for me. After giving me friendship.

I didn't notice until later, but Yinyang was almost fully white, except for her legs.

I walked into a fancy store, feeling out of place in my sweatshirt and black jeans. My sneakers squeaked on the shiny floor.

The cashier gave me a dirty look at my attire and quite well-known and infamous identity. I guess it's gonna take awhile for that to stop...that is, if I ever do leave for the good side.

Which I feel like doing more and more each passing day.

I ignored her and squeaked over to the men's 'event attire' section. Ugh, how stuffy and fancy.

I looked at a solid blue tux, and almost grabbed it, but told myself not to. I didn't want to steal her thunder. It was quite noticeable, and besides, I was going to try to blend in. She'd told me that it was extremely formal, so I should refrain from talking too awful much since I don't have good manners. Hey, you can't blame me. My brothers practically took care of 'the baby of the team' for a while, and besides, I was technically a gang member. They don't really require manners.

I chose a pretty plain yet still attractive black suit and brought it up to the cashier. She huffed as she took my money.

"Boomer, is it? Of the Rowdyruff Boys?"

I crinkled my nose at the horrid smell of her sickly sweet perfume. "Yes ma'am, that's me."

She looked genuinely surprised. "'Ma'am'? I thought the Ruffs were little brats."

I smirked as I grabbed my suit and turned away.

"I was once. But like my very good friend Bubbles said, I've changed."

Bubbles POV
~~~

I posed in the mirror, a hand on my hip. The dress was pretty on me, I thought. Much better than my everyday Puff uniform. I smiled as I twirled in front of the glass. All I needed done was my hair, but I had to wait for the actual day of the dance. It was hard waiting when I knew Boomer was going. What would he wear? I wondered if he had anything fancy at all, or if he had to buy something.

I wonder if the hairdo and my concealer will work. Without his freckles on his face and with one eye invisible to everyone, it should hide his identity pretty well. However, if someone looked too hard...we were screwed.

I sighed and adjusted the neckline. I understand why Buttercup hated her dress last year, the one Blossom and I had picked for her. It had been covered in sequins. My collarbone area was itching like I'd gotten poison ivy.

Oh well. It was well worth it for Boomer. He would probably be a lot less comfortable than I was.

(A/N) Sorry I had to do a bit of a short chapter-I needed to go to bed, and it's the second one I published today. I'll try and illustrate it tomorrow. Also, yes, I will put in that fluffiness and romance I promised, and very soon!

*Yawn*

....Goodnight.

Cya!