Yin and Yang

"And when at last you find someone to whom you feel you can pour out your soul, you stop in shock at the words you utter- they are so rusty, so ugly, so meaningless and feeble from being kept in the small cramped dark inside you so long."
― Sylvia Plath

Boomer POV

~~~

I mentally slapped myself over and over.

What was wrong with me? I tell Bubbles that I didn't want to fight, then I go back and threaten her like that? I can't decide which side to take-which one is right. Brick and Butch would kill me if they knew my loyalties were wavering. I had to hide it. Just like I always had to hide everything else.

I couldn't help but remember Bubbles's clear blue eyes looking into mine, full of sympathy and understanding. Like she knew what I was going through! Life's always been so simple for her: she was on the good side. That was that.

I sighed as I watched mothers snatching up their kids as I walked down further into the neighborhood. The whole city knew me and my brothers; we were feared by all of them. And who could blame the people? We've done horrible things all our lives.

Even if I did try to convert over to Bubbles's side, I'd never be accepted. They'd never trust me.

She'd never trust me.

I kicked a rock down the street. Even though I didn't put any real power into it, the stone still shot way down the road. I was about to take off for home when I heard an animal yelp. My stomach dropped-it sounded like a puppy. Hey, everyone has a soft spot. I can handle destroying a city, but animals...especially baby ones...well, I just couldn't look at them and do away with the thing. Animals are sometimes my only friends...and by sometimes, I meant for my whole life. Butch and Brick never knew about my little soft spot, and I didn't intend on letting them know.

Without even arguing with myself first, which I often did, I found myself flying towards the direction of the noise. With a start, I realized it was the same direction I'd kicked the rock.

I found a small, fuzzy puppy lying on the road when I finally landed. It seemed I'd actually put way too much force into that kick than I should've. The little creature's leg was bent in a weird way, and my rock lay just a foot away. I picked up the cute little dog and cradled it. It looked kind of like a Pomeranian, just smaller than usual. Its black fur was matted in some spots, but I couldn't tell if it was from blood or mud. An almost unnoticeable cut was on its left ear.

"I'm sorry, pup-pup," I said, searching for a collar. Its neck was completely bare...wait. Except for a thin string, almost hidden by the extraordinarily huge amount of fluff. A worn message hung from it.

'This dog is a stray. I don't want it, so please get it away from this neighborhood. It keeps coming back!'

I smile down at the Pomeranian puppy. It looked up at me curiously, its big, doleful eyes full of hope.

"Looks like I have a new best friend."

Bubbles POV

~~~

I flew around in random patterns, letting my fingers glide through the clouds. I was trying to get my mind off of Boomer, for the time being. I exhaled, blowing away some of the vaporized moisture around my face. I really wanted to help him. I could just see the good hiding within him, but he kept it locked away, just out of reach. If only I could get him to let it loose.