You Need To Know

"A confession has to be part of your new life."

-Ludwig Wittgenstein

Boomer POV

~~~

   My breath hitched in my throat when I saw the headline. Butch and Brick stared, wide-eyed, at the rickety TV's screen, and I debated flying over to the next city and hiding.

 ' Rowdyruff Gone Good! ' was written over the screen, with a plastic-surgery addict staring me right in the face, a smile plastered on. I cringed as my brothers leaned towards the TV. Butch started twitching.

   This was gonna hurt.

  "Hello, I'm Nancy, and I have some shocking news for the people of Townsville! Just last night, a member of the villainous gang 'The Rowdyruff Boys', Boomer Jojo, went in disguise to a local school dance with none other than his own counterpart, Bubbles Utonium. When Buttercup Utonium revealed his true identity, he confessed that he had 'turned over a new leaf' for Bubbles. The youngest member of our beloved Powerpuff Girls seems to have unwavering trust in him, but whether or not we choose to follow her example, we shall see."

   Mrs. Plastic-Surgery went on and on about other stuff, like shootings and whatnot, but we had all stopped listening. I curled myself into a ball as Brick and Butch clenched their fists and glared daggers at me.

   "YOU DID WHAT!?!?" they yelled, and I plugged my ears to try and protect them from being ruined.

   I knew that if I couldn't talk it out, I'd have to stand up for myself. I was glad that Bubbles had Yinyang for now. 

   "Y-you heard the n-news, I changed my mind. I don't want to be evil anymore. Bubbles helped me realize I'm better off not being a villain! I saw that what I was doing...what you were telling me to do...was wrong! And I was ignorant enough all this time to just blindly follow you guys, who in turn, blindly follow Him!"

   Their eyes were open wide, motionless, and I actually let myself wonder if I'd actually gotten through to them for a moment.

   A giant red claw settled on my shoulder, and all of that hope quickly drained out of me.

"My son," crooned a disturbingly feminine voice, "Are you really saying that you've turned on your family? I am the one reason why you are alive. Your brothers practically raised you. And you're leaving us for a girl that killed you?"

   I shivered. Him had a point...

   But I had a better one.

   "She had to. I would've blindly caused death, destruction and suffering had she not. I would've killed so many people...she kept that from happening. She saved so many lives...and then she's actually brought herself to forgive me. I'm not about to ruin that."

   Him pouted with fake hurt, a lip poking out. "But Boomer, they are your brothers! I am your father! We love you as family."

   At those last words, which Him had probably thought would change my thoughts about it, only made me hate Him even more. They were so obviously hollow and untrue.

   I furrowed a brow, sneering at Him. "You're not my father. You're my inventor. You wanted all of us as tools. Not sons. You never cared for us! All the kindness you've ever shown us was just so that you could keep us in running order! My brothers are my only family, and you know it! They may still be blind and misguided, and they may think I'm too soft or too stupid, but they still treat me like a human being most of the time!" 

   With that, I flew through the window, leaving shattered glass and a trail of cerulean light in my wake.

   I headed toward the Utonium household by instinct, the one place I knew held someone who would understand and try to help. It wasn't long before I peered through Bubbles's window. I'd had trouble remembering which one it was, since last time before the dance that I'd been here, they had all shared the same room. In the end, though, I ended up hovering just outside of her window. I peered inside, only to find that she wasn't there. Guess I'll have to take the other option.

   I floated down to the front door. Taking a deep breath, I knocked on it three times, each dull thud mimicking my racing heartbeat. Finally Blossom opened up the door, and began glaring at me suspiciously.

   "What do you want, Rowdyruff?" she asked me, her tone icy. 

   I sighed. "I'm here to see Bubbles."

   She scoffed at me. "You're lucky I'm letting you in."

   My brows furrowed. "What? Why? I thought I made it perfectly clear that I've changed!"

   "I need proof! Bubbles may trust you, but Buttercup and I don't. We have no reason to believe you won't just stab us in the back!"

   I lowered my head, knowing that she had perfectly good reasoning. She let out a breath and let me inside. I floated up the stairs to Bubbles's room, feeling miserable. I had no idea where she was, but she was bound to turn up there sooner or later.

   It turned out to take ten minutes for her sisters to bother telling her that I was in her room. She creaked open the door, smiling softly.

 Bubbles POV

~~~

"Boomer?" I asked, a gentle smile upon my face. He turned to look at me from his position on my chair at the desk I used for drawing. His eyes held misery and sadness, and his shoulders slumped in defeat. I made a concerned expression and walked over to him. Placing a hand on his shoulder, I watched as he lifted his eyes to meet mine.

   "What happened?" I asked.

   He said nothing, just stood up and wrapped me up in a tight hug. I widened my eyes in shock, but slowly hugged him back. I heard a muffled sniffle coming from him, and a slight jerk in his shoulders told me that Boomer was crying.

   When we pulled apart, several tears were going down his face, but his eyes had a new emotion in them- some form of good feeling, though it was hard to see in the midst of the suffering.

   "Him came to visit. M-my brothers...they don't want me around. Bubbles, they're good, I promise, but...Him has them blinded. They can't see it. There's nothing I can do to help t-them.."

   Boomer sucked in a deep breath. "So..now, Bubbles, you're the only human on this planet that actually trusts me anymore. Th-thank you for being there."

   This time it was my turn to hug him. I felt pressure build up in my forehead as I shared his sadness, almost crying myself.

   We stood there for a good while, just the two of us, until a pure-white Yinyang managed to climb the stairs and paw at my leg in reassurance.

(A/N)   So yeah, Him is back! I didn't forget about that little detail. And yes, I may be ending the story in a bit, but the good news is, I have another story in mind! It won't be PPG, sorry.

   I may or may not write some cute little oneshots about what happens after the story when I finish this, but only if I can gather enough ideas. 

   Anyway, cya!