Victory Isn't Winning

"Victory isn't always winning. Sometimes the price of victory is so great, you lose more than you gain."

-Me. Haha...I couldn't find a quote.

Boomer POV

~~~

   I whirled around, smacking another demon. I cringed as we engaged in battle. I'd quickly learned that fighting mental demons was a lot different than fighting with real things. They weren't harmed by physical contact. Instead, every time I touched one, whatever feeling they represented washed over my in huge waves, conjuring horrible thoughts and telling me how worthless or horrible I was. I didn't know how to beat one yet, and I was wearing down emotionally.

   "BoOmEr.." they hissed. "YOu hAve AlrEadY fAilEd. DiD yOu reAllY thInK sOmEonE aS sTupId aNd WorThlEss As yOu coUlD deFeAt a DemOn?"

   I gritted my teeth as another scream bounded through my head, distant but definitely real. I was hurting Bubbles. I had to win this, or I would hurt her beyond help. I had a purpose for not just admitting defeat.

   With that thought going through my head, I kicked another demon in the stomach area. To my surprise, it wailed and crumbled into dust. One of the voices went away, also- I'm not worthless.

   I widened my eyes. Of course. The battle with your own demons is never physical- it's all in your head.

   I concentrated on each of the voices, working my best to defy all of them. Each one had to be told that they were lies. Only then could the demon itself be destroyed.

   Within a few minutes, I was standing in dust, the final remains of all those demons. I was feeling better than ever. There was just one left, though. I couldn't figure out how to get rid of it, because every time it whispered to me, it seemed to tell the truth.

   Bubbles hates you...

   You're being a monster to her...

   She sees a demon before her. Just like us...face it, you're as bad as we are....

   For effect, he allowed a glimpse of what was happening back in the physical world.  I did look demonic. Horrifying. And Bubbles...was that really her?

   She was scared, that much was certain. She was bloody. I had cut her almost everywhere- including on her perfect cheek. I faltered, feeling self-hate bubble up again. Dust swirled around at my feet.

   I watched as I hunched over her, baring my claws...

   But then...

Bubbles POV

~~~

   I stared into his eyes. I could see something going on in them; he was fighting a battle in there. Boomer still existed, the real one. He was also rapidly winning. His eyes were slowly ceasing to glow, and his horns and claws were dulling and shrinking. He still was under someone else's control, though- he bent over me, baring his claws, ready to make the killing blow.

   I saw something flicker in his eyes. He was trying not to. I could see his guilt. He...hated it. He thought he was a monster...

   I had an idea.

   "Boomer, please, don't. I know this isn't you. You aren't a monster."

   I sucked in a breath. What if this didn't work? What if I read his thoughts wrong?

   I jumped forward before I could think about it any longer.

   Our lips met. I threw my arms around his stunned body, hoping with all my might that it would work.  I'd been wanting to do this for a while, but I was planning on waiting for him to confirm he felt the same way about me. But...if he really did return my feelings, it would help him right now more than ever.

   Him had said he was taken over by his inner demons, right? Then he needed self-confidence, and a little happiness.

   I felt his arms wrap around me, and his whole body lean towards mine. I couldn't feel his claws; they were gone. I broke the kiss to look up. His eyes, a beautiful cerulean color, were looking down at me in a soft, affectionate way. His horns were gone.

   "I love you, Bubbles." he said softly. The rest of the Ruffs and Puffs were staring at us, dumbstruck. Even Him had quieted down with his deranged cackling.

   I hugged him tighter. "I love you too, Boomer."

Boomer POV

~~~

   It was like waking up. When I had seen Bubbles kiss me, I felt it-distantly, but more real than the rest of it. The last demon had just exploded the second I had smiled from pure joy. Next thing I knew, my mental world dissolved around me, and I found myself back in the physical world, my lips pressed against Bubbles's. It had been amazing.

   I felt so free, without all those thoughts going through my head. Joy rushed through me as I wrapped my arms around Bubbles. My Bubbles.

   We looked up after a minute. My brothers and her sisters were staring at us in awe. They didn't seem to understand what was happening.

   My brothers looked at the Puffs, looking awed. Brick cleared his throat.

   "So," he said awkwardly. "Well...this whole adventure has shown us some things." Blossom looked at him questioningly, while Buttercup gave Butch the staredown. She was trying not to smile.

   He was interrupted by a screech.

   "Worthless Powerpuff!" Him screamed, hunching down so that we could see his face. "You have foiled my plans for the last time! You may have been able to defeat a few imaginary demons, but can you defeat a real one? No!"

   Two giant crab claws came crashing down, creating huge holes in the earth. Volleys of spines shot out at us, aiming to impale the Puffs and me. 

   "My sons!" he screeched. "Fight with me!"

   Brick and Butch stared up defiantly. "We're not your sons."

   They shot eyebeams straight at Him's face, making him scream in agony. He looked down upon all of us in complete rage.

   "You!" he cried at Bubbles. "This is all your fault!"

   Both crab claws flew at Bubbles. Before she could do anything, one of them swatted her down, almost crushing her completely. When he lifted it back up, Bubbles was lying in a crater, eyes closed. I couldn't see if her chest was moving or not.

   "Bubs!" I yelled, flying down to her. I cradled her head in my arms, not hiding the tears. I tried listening to her heartbeat, but it was so faint, I didn't know if she was hanging on or dying.

   I might've won my own fight, but it wasn't worth anything if she was gone.

(A/N)   So is Bubbles gone forever? The world may never know. Haha!

I'm so evil.

Cya!