Keeping Secrets

"Why can't you love me like others do?

They stare at me while I stare at you."

-Anonymous 

Boomer POV

~~~

   I took a deep breath as I fastened the blue bow tie. The thing annoyed me to death, but apparently it was what you were supposed to wear to a formal event. I looked in my mirror one last time. (Yes, I had a mirror. Just because I'm a boy doesn't mean I don't care about my face!) My hair was pulled over one eye, kind of like Bubbles's. I'd actually bothered to comb it down so that it lay flat, and not all spiked up on the sides. I'd taken a shower, too. Now I pulled the cap off of Bubbles's concealer stick. I leaned in and carefully painted over my cheekbones and nose, making sure to rub it smooth like Bubbles had said. In no time, it looked like I'd never had freckles at all. 

   After one last check, I grabbed the bouquet of blue flowers and shot out the window. I know I'm not the best-behaved teenage boy out there, but I'd been researching nonstop about dances and whatnot. It didn't make much sense to me (especially that darn bow tie!) but I did it anyway. I was gonna give Bubs a good time, even though I know nothing about dancing.

   It wasn't long before I'd arrived at her house. I carefully double-checked to make sure I had everything on right; if I'd done anything wrong, the other girls would know something was up. I exhaled loudly before reaching for the Utoniums' doorbell.

   "I got it, Professor!"

   Oh no. I knew that voice. I had to keep from cringing in fear as Buttercup opened the door. She gave me a once-over and sneered. I gave a slight yelp as she grabbed me by the collar of my tux and pulled me so that we were face-to-face. I almost tugged away, but she was using her super-strength. I couldn't exactly use my own powers, or I'd give myself away.

   "You better treat Bubbles right, weirdo. You do so much as bend a hair on her head, and you're freaking dead. Got that, buster?"

   Okay, Buttercup was even scarier than I thought. I nodded quickly, eyes widened. She loosened her grip only to narrow her eyes and tighten it again.

   "You look like someone I know. Very personally." she said, malice filling her voice. Crap, she's onto me.

   She reached a thumb towards my bang, obviously not buying the mask, but she was interrupted.

   "Boom-uh, Brendan! So glad you're here! Buttercup, could you please put my friend down?"

   Buttercup scoffed at Bubbles's voice. "No, I can't put your friend down. I'm not holding your friend. This is your date."

   "I told you, we're going as friends!"

   "Yeah, sure. Go on, I'll meet you there."

   Buttercup flashed me a look that clearly said 'this isn't over'. She let me go, turning back to go into the house.

   My breath hitched when she moved.

   Bubbles looked... you know what? I need a dictionary to describe it. I regret not ever doing anything to learn when I was little. All I know now is that I knew no words that could match it. I'd seen the dress in her hand at the store, but on her, it looked so much better. Her hair was loose, flowing around her face in soft golden ringlets. One eye was still covered, which I found annoying for some reason. I felt the urge to go and tuck it behind her ear.

   I never thought I'd actually be the one saying this, but Bubbles amazed me. She was my best friend in the world, the one person who gets what I'm going through. And she just so happens to be beautiful.